Adding relations to a rough drawing

Do you have a question you want to ask an existing QCAD user about QCAD and what you can do with it? Do you want to know if a particular feature exists? This is the place to ask.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Dimensionmetal
Registered Member

Adding relations to a rough drawing

Post by Dimensionmetal » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:25 pm

Hi guys, I'm new on here. I have very basic knowledge of Solidworks (self taught on Youtube) however their price point is so far out of my realm I don't really see a point continuing to learn that program. I am a metal fabricator and find it much easier to lay intricate gates or brackets in CAD prior to making them. Previously I've just made a line drawing and then added dimensions and relations (degree of angles, vertical, length etc) to lock the drawing and find unsolvable equations or over-defined sections. Am I able to do this in QCAD? Attached is a quick sketch of the rough shape I want to make. I want to know if I can add relations after the rough sketch is drawn or do I have to stipulate the relation as I'm making the initial shape.
Attachments
Camso Cover.png
Camso Cover.png (3.22 KiB) Viewed 8634 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Adding relations to a rough drawing

Post by Husky » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:14 am

Hello Dimensionmetal - welcome to the QCAD Forum.
Dimensionmetal wrote:... I am a metal fabricator and find it much easier to lay intricate gates or brackets in CAD prior to making them.
Agree - that is the right thing to do. :wink:
Dimensionmetal wrote:... Previously I've just made a line drawing and then added dimensions and relations (degree of angles, vertical, length etc) to lock the drawing and find unsolvable equations or over-defined sections. Am I able to do this in QCAD?
No.
Dimensionmetal wrote:... Attached is a quick sketch of the rough shape I want to make. I want to know if I can add relations after the rough sketch is drawn or do I have to stipulate the relation as I'm making the initial shape.
You have to design your drawing with Draw tools like
Husky-2017.11.13-04.png
Husky-2017.11.13-04.png (8.37 KiB) Viewed 8627 times
afterwards you are able to modify everything what is drawn with the Modify tools like ...
Husky-2017.11.13-03.png
Husky-2017.11.13-03.png (39.14 KiB) Viewed 8627 times
... or the powerfull Property Editor.

But you are not able just to change a value in a dimension and the whole shape (like a rectangle) will adopt this new values.

Your quick sketch: Will that be made out of sheet metal and has to be prepared (cuts) for bending? I think that is an pretty easy task for QCAD but maybe you like to try it by yourself with a Free QCAD Trial Version.

http://www.qcad.org/de/qcad-downloads-trial

If you have any further question please feel free to ask us. :D
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Dimensionmetal
Registered Member

Post by Dimensionmetal » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:27 pm

I downloaded the free trial but didn't open it soon enough and it expired after about 1/2" of me diddling around on it. That drawing will be made out of aluminum and yes dotted line are bends. Thanks for answering my questions!

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:31 pm

Dimensionmetal wrote:I downloaded the free trial but didn't open it soon enough and it expired after about 1/2" of me diddling around on it.
Did you notice that you can simply restart the trial version after it expires?

Return to “Pre-sales Questions”