Importing items

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

Duncan

Importing items

Post by Duncan » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:39 pm

When I import some items that I have preciously drawn the always import onto the "0" layer. When creating the item, I have created a block, then created a library item from the block. Is there any way to import into the current layer that is selected?

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Importing items

Post by Husky » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:57 am

Just to be on the same page: You will "insert" a block from the Library. We are not talking about "Import" a drawing in an other drawing, correct?

To insert a Library Block in a drawing you can use different insert option. First of all you have to make the target Layer active before you insert a block. Which Attributes the block then will use depends on your QCAD settings and how the block is prepared. We need more info on what your goal is.

1. If possible attache one of those Library items to this post.
2. Tell us exactly what you expect what should happened during the inserting with the block.
Thanks.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:48 am

Thanks Husky,
So far I have been using "File, Import" as a way of using pre-drawn items st save time. To be honest, I'm not sure how to insert a block, as most of the time the "Insert Block" command in the block menu is greyed out so as to be unusable.

Forgive my ignorance, but if there is something simple that I'm missing or an easier way, I'd love to know.

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:47 am

Duncan wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:48 am
Thanks Husky,
So far I have been using "File, Import" as a way of using pre-drawn items st save time.
You're welcome. :wink:
Which method is used depends a bit on what you like to insert into an existing drawing.

1. Using Import (Menu, File, Import) is most likely used for complex drawings.
Example: You have to draw a 3 unit townhouse. Unit 1, 2 and 3 already exist as a single unit drawing. Import them one by one to accomplish a 3 unit townhouse drawing.

2. Working with the Part Library: The part library is used for parts like gears, windows, doors, screws, bolts etc etc. With other words - the smaller stuff. More important - stuff what you need in drawings again and again ...
Example: You are an architect and you have to draw houses on daily base. You need for every house windows and doors - how convenient if you have all windows and doors already in your library and don't have to draw them again and again ... :wink:

To use the part library you have to prepare the single parts and save them to the library. Basically a library part is the same like a block except that a block is only available that particular drawing - library parts are easily assessable from all active drawings.

Here you will find a tutorial how to prepare and work with library parts:

https://qcad.org/en/tutorial-working-wi ... rt-library
Duncan wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:48 am
To be honest, I'm not sure how to insert a block, as most of the time the "Insert Block" command in the block menu is greyed out so as to be unusable.
It should work if you first select the block or library part and then click the insert button ...
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:13 am

Thanks Husky,

I'll have a good look at the tutorial! I appreciate your help.

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:35 am

Hello Husky,
I have had a look at the Library Browser Tutorial. When I go to drag and drop an item from the library into the drawing, it sometimes puts an incorrect part in. That is to say, not the selected part, but another. It's as if the browser is confused... see the attached screen shot. Item "P50" was selected, but as you can see, another item further up the list has been dragged.
Attachments
Library Browser Confused.png
Library Browser Confused.png (23.85 KiB) Viewed 7161 times

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:32 am

Hi,
Duncan wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:35 am
Item "P50" was selected, but as you can see, another item further up the list has been dragged.
There is only one scenario which I can imagine. If I'm wrong - then I need the drawing. e_surprised

Could it be ...
You try to insert a block named "P50",
in your drawing exist already a block named "P50" but this block has a different content,
you drag and drop from the library P50, the insert option chosen is "don't overwrite" existing blocks in the Block List ...

Husky-2020.02.16-02.png
Husky-2020.02.16-02.png (46.2 KiB) Viewed 7158 times

... and QCAD is exactly doing what you told it. It'll use the existing block content from the drawing (Block List) and not the block content from the Library Browser block.

Test what happens when you activate the "Overwrite blocks" option.

J-J

Post by J-J » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:04 pm

Duncan wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:35 am
When I go to drag and drop an item from the library into the drawing, it sometimes puts an incorrect part in. That is to say, not the selected part, but another. It's as if the browser is confused... see the attached screen shot. Item "P50" was selected, but as you can see, another item further up the list has been dragged.
Hi,
I have that happen quite frequently too if the drag motion goes over another block in the library? Try using the blue insert arrow instead, that should do it :wink:
JJ Win7 pro-64

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”