Overlays

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Clive

Overlays

Post by Clive » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:19 am

I have noticed the new Overlays tools in QCAD - what are they for please and how do you use them properly?
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Overlays

Post by andrew » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:38 am

Overlays display additional information about entities on top of the entities (direction, draw order, start point). Overlays can be switched on while working with a drawing to see information that is not apparent just from looking at the drawing. It's mainly useful when preparing drawings for further processing (e.g. CAM).

Panchdara
Premier Member

Post by Panchdara » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:55 am

Overlays might be useful (order certainly). However, there's some quirks: Order- change text colour doesn't work well. Change background to blue and the text colour is white (preferences) and the text remains black. Change text colour to cyan and it is now cyan - change from cyan to white and it is now black... ? Also, not dynamic, so the "apply" button doesn't work - must toggle overlay view off and on again. Are overlays experimental? preferences aren't consistent. Startpoint colour red looks like brown(?) - blue looks fine...

Using snapshot 3.23
Attachments
Overlay.wmv
(9.93 MiB) Downloaded 667 times
Windows 10

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:49 pm

Panchdara wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:55 am
Change background to blue and the text colour is white (preferences) and the text remains black.
Is your drawing background white or bright? If so, QCAD automatically adjusts the text color from white to black. Try to make it 'bright' instead or configure that behavior under:
Edit > Application Preferences > Graphics Views > Appearance > Prevent white on white / black on black display
Panchdara wrote:
Also, not dynamic, so the "apply" button doesn't work - must toggle overlay view off and on again.
That's correct.
Panchdara wrote:
Are overlays experimental?
No.
Panchdara wrote:
Startpoint colour red looks like brown(?)
Check the transparency of the color.

Panchdara
Premier Member

Post by Panchdara » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:49 pm

All makes sense now - there are too many smart hidden gems under the hood. Yes, the background is white - thus the switch does what it says. Refreshing the view as you assert is how to redraw the items. Not sure on the colour transparency (as I mentioned in the startpoint item)... looks like the "red" is the dark red and, even though there is no line colour, looks pink. I'll hunt that switch/setting.

Thanks again for such a quick help. It's something like the 80/20 rule me thinks.

Best
Attachments
Startpoint.jpg
Startpoint.jpg (144.23 KiB) Viewed 8553 times
Windows 10

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”