Why did this drawing suddenly bring QCAD to its knees?

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

lphilpot

Why did this drawing suddenly bring QCAD to its knees?

Post by lphilpot » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:16 am

QCAD Pro 3.21.3.0
Xubuntu 18.04.2 Linux 64-bit

I'm just a QCAD putzer and I was intrigued by Husky's twisted wire drawing (in another topic) so I decided to try it. I got as far as a drawing with eight splines and four straight lines, on two layers. Then suddenly QCAD bogged down to a crawl. While my drawing may not be optimal, 12 objects isn't a lot. And it's just this drawing - Doing almost anything triggers a LOT of CPU but other drawings are fine.

For example, here's a CPU graph when I switched to it from another drawing:

...and here's one when I hid a layer:

Zooming is slow, etc., but saving is quick (although loading is slow). I had another drawing open as well and it's very quick, perfectly normal. Switching to other drawings is fast, but back to this one is slow. I cleaned it - No duplicate nor zero-length entities. Restarted QCAD, etc. No better.

The drawing is attached - What did I miss?

Thanks.
Attachments
twisted wire.dwg
(18.3 KiB) Downloaded 410 times
Len
QCAD Pro

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Why did this drawing suddenly bring QCAD to its knees?

Post by Husky » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:16 am

lphilpot wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:16 am
I'm just a QCAD putzer and I was intrigued by Husky's twisted wire drawing ...
Here we go .... understood .... my fault ....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I checked your drawing on my Win10 and I can't reproduce a crash. Then I bloated it with many copies ....

Husky-2019.03.07-02.png
Husky-2019.03.07-02.png (224.27 KiB) Viewed 4003 times

.... which slows QCAD down but it is still stable. CPU (2 Cores) stays below 38%.

BTW: Your drawing looks already pretty good! :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:31 am

It's the very fine dash-dot pattern of the red splines. Change the linetype of layer "red" to "continuous" or adjust the lineweight or linetype pattern scale or switch to screen-based linetypes (View > Screen-based Linetypes).

lphilpot

Post by lphilpot » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:43 pm

That was it. I created the drawing from my standard template and that layer was originally for center lines, hence the dashed line. The actual scale of the drawing (which I was going to reduce once done) made it so large I didn't notice the linestyle. Changed it to Continuous and all is well.

Excellent - I was at least relieved to see it was the drawing and not something in QCAD itself. :) Obviously Husky's computer is much faster than mine (which is admittedly a few years old).

Thanks.
Len
QCAD Pro

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”