QCAD saving linetype and textstyle definitions into empty files

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

spatz

QCAD saving linetype and textstyle definitions into empty files

Post by spatz » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:52 pm

Hello

I happened to find out that QCAD is saving linetype and textstyle definitions that are available in the application even into an empty file without any objects.

I came across this at work when I tried to find out why every text entity has gotten his individual textstyle after editing files in QCAD that were originally created in AutoCAD. So I tried to reproduce this at home. Attached file was created in QCAD 3.16.4 on Debian GNU/Linux (amd64) by just opening an empty file (not from template) and saving it.

Could you please help me out in understanding this behavior? Is this intended and can I purge this unused definitions?

Regards,
Stephan
Attachments
Test_TextLineStyles.dxf
(98.26 KiB) Downloaded 493 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: QCAD saving linetype and textstyle definitions into empty files

Post by Husky » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:28 pm

Hi,
spatz wrote:Is this intended and can I purge this unused definitions?
Yes, yes. :wink:

QCAD saves a few settings independently from the drawing for convenience reason. This settings are stored in the qcad3.ini or qcad3.conf - regarding to the used OS.
One simple example is if you draw a horizontal line with a length of 100 units then it will be stored in those application settings for repeatable use and is available until you change it. This isn't stored in the drawing and it is only available on that particular QCAD computer. Unprofessional but common term for that behavior is "Remember function". :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

spatz

Post by spatz » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:43 pm

Thank you, Husky,

but the linetype and textstyle definitions are actually saved into the file. If you open the file attached to the first post with a text editor you can see some entries (at least ten each) for

textstyles:

Code: Select all

STYLE
E6
3B
AcDbSymbolTableRecord
AcDbTextStyleTableRecord
textstyle1
ltypeshp.shx
and linetypes:

Code: Select all

LTYPE
DD
3D
AcDbSymbolTableRecord
AcDbLinetypeTableRecord
ACAD_ISO08W100
ISO long-dash short-dash ____ __ ____ __ ____ _
Regards,
Stephan

ljbuller

Post by ljbuller » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:49 pm

Sorry to re-open an old post, but here goes anyhow.
We have block - purge unused blocks and Misc - Modify - purge unused layers and blocks. I find them very useful to clean up a drawing.

AutoCAD and Draftsight have a "purge" command that clean up unused line and text styles. Any chance that Either that could be incorporated into QCAD or one of the developers would have a plugin for that?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:43 am

QCAD does not deal with text styles or line types in the same way as those other products.

Text styles are not supported at all in QCAD and handled internally (a text style is created when needed on exporting to DXF/DWG).

All line types that are defined in .lin files are always immediately available for any new or imported file. Line types cannot be imported or removed.

This makes QCAD easier to handle for the vast majority of users.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”