Join rectangles and dimensioning

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Rantanplan7

Join rectangles and dimensioning

Post by Rantanplan7 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:50 am

Hi,

I have some more questions on "how to".
If I have to draw a wall I'm used to draw to rectangles, move them together and afterwards I'm trimming the union. Don't know if my english is good enough to get what I'm talking of, so please take a look at the attached drawing where I have placed a machine in a corner. What I would like to get is the red wall.

Another problem is the dimension. To get the "mm" after the number I have to explode the dimension and after that I can edit the number with a text. As well if the drawing is for the US I have to get double dimensions - mm and inch and I would calculate the inch value and edit the writing. This is working but it isn't very ergonomic. Is there any quicker way to do this?

Please bear in mind that I'm only used to Autosketch and that I'm not a professional CAD user.
QCAD_Question1.jpg
QCAD_Question1.jpg (51.07 KiB) Viewed 9579 times
Best Regards

Sven

QCAD 3.27.6.0 / Windows 11 Professional 64-bit / 16 GB RAM, i5 [email protected], SSD
(former Autosketch 10 user)

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Join rectangles and dimensioning

Post by Husky » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:53 pm

Hi,
Rantanplan7 wrote:If I have to draw a wall I'm used to draw to rectangles, move them together and afterwards I'm trimming the union.
Short answer. Yes - that is one of many ways to accomplish that task. But it is always a question of the given situation. There are many different ways to come to the same result and you have to decide in each case what works best for that situation.
Rantanplan7 wrote:To get the "mm" after the number I have to explode the dimension and after that I can edit the number with a text.
Try to avoid exploding a dimension because the functionality of that dim is lost for ever.
If you need to put a text like the unit to a dim then you can use the Property Editor. Use <> in the Label which will reflect the Value and then put the text in front or behind <> like <> mm.
Husky-2017.12.08-01.png
Husky-2017.12.08-01.png (24.81 KiB) Viewed 9563 times
Rantanplan7 wrote:As well if the drawing is for the US I have to get double dimensions - mm and inch and I would calculate the inch value and edit the writing. This is working but it isn't very ergonomic. Is there any quicker way to do this?
There are a few ways to make it at least a bit more comfortable. Could you attache a drawing or screenshot to see your current requirements. Thanks.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Rantanplan7

Post by Rantanplan7 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:55 am

Hi Husky,

thanks for the your answers.
Regarding trimming a union to make the wall corner look better I wanted to say I'm used to this from Autosketch, the question is how do I trim a union in QCAD, because I have not found a similar function yet.
To get the mm with the Label in the properties is a much quicker way, thanks for that.
The double dimension should be something like 8' 2 1/2" / 2504 mm.
Another nice feature in Autosketch was to have the text inline with the dimension lines - is that possible in QCAD too?
Dimension2.jpg
Dimension2.jpg (21.55 KiB) Viewed 9545 times
Best Regards

Sven

QCAD 3.27.6.0 / Windows 11 Professional 64-bit / 16 GB RAM, i5 [email protected], SSD

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:22 pm

Rantanplan7 wrote:Regarding trimming a union to make the wall corner look better I wanted to say I'm used to this from Autosketch, the question is how do I trim a union in QCAD, because I have not found a similar function yet.
I don't know Autosketch but there are a few Trim Tools in QCAD - maybe you are looking for "Trim Both"?

Rantanplan7 wrote:The double dimension should be something like 8' 2 1/2" / 2504 mm.
Husky-2017.12.11-05.png
Husky-2017.12.11-05.png (24.13 KiB) Viewed 9525 times
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

lphilpot

Post by lphilpot » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:57 pm

Just out of curiosity, are there any other replaceable parameters (or tokens, etc.) in addition to "<>"?

Thanks.
Len
QCAD Pro

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:17 am

lphilpot wrote:Just out of curiosity, are there any other replaceable parameters (or tokens, etc.) in addition to "<>"?
Right Mouse-click inside the Label Field --> Insert Symbol
Husky-2017.12.11-03.png
Husky-2017.12.11-03.png (33.11 KiB) Viewed 9518 times

lphilpot

Post by lphilpot » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:27 am

Now why did I never notice that? :wink: Looks like I need to do more experimental right-clicking (or 'secondary' clicking, to be more accurate).

So the actual value is the only calculated token, the rest are static characters. Then again, I'm not sure I could come up with a valid use for another calculated token, anyway (not yet, at least).

Thanks!
Len
QCAD Pro

Rantanplan7

Post by Rantanplan7 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:44 am

Thanks Husky. Looks like QCAD is a dignified replacement of Autosketch.
As well I have read that QCAD will get some missing useful functions like moving objects with the arrow keys - maybe we get as well a quick turning possibility straight after choosing a symbol?
Best Regards

Sven

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:49 am

Rantanplan7 wrote:As well I have read that QCAD will get some missing useful functions like moving objects with the arrow keys ...
Correct - comes with the next update.
Rantanplan7 wrote:... maybe we get as well a quick turning possibility straight after choosing a symbol?
To late! :shock:
Additional to the uncounted other turning tools implemented with Version 3.17.0 . :D

Rantanplan7

Post by Rantanplan7 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:48 pm

Rantanplan7 hat geschrieben:... maybe we get as well a quick turning possibility straight after choosing a symbol?

To late! :shock:
Additional to the uncounted other turning tools implemented with Version 3.17.0 . :D

Are we talking about the same function? I mark a symbol and can freely rotate it by clicking and holding a mouse button? Additionally by holding CTRL in adjustable steps like 15° steps?
Best Regards

Sven

Rantanplan7

Post by Rantanplan7 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:56 pm

Just to explain why free turning is nice to have.
SafetyFence.jpg
SafetyFence.jpg (38.67 KiB) Viewed 9502 times
The small pieces are sefety fences around a machine and as you can see the last one hasn't got an easy to guess angle, so the easiest way would be if I could freely rotate it with the mouse and release it when it is fitting into the gap.
Best Regards

Sven

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:59 pm

You might want to use the tool Modify > Align Reference Points instead.

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:04 pm

Rantanplan7 wrote:Are we talking about the same function? I mark a symbol and can freely rotate it by clicking and holding a mouse button? Additionally by holding CTRL in adjustable steps like 15° steps?
I'm talking about to have the same possibility in QCAD - I'm not talking about to have the same shortcuts or what ever is used in other programs.

Have you tried the tool which is mentioned by Andrew?

additional:
- the common Rotate Tool in QCAD has an option to rotate a selection freely,
- if you need to limit it to specific degree steps - you can do it too,
- Clipboard > Paste, Block > Insert, Insert > library items, Draw > Text can also be rotated by using Keyboard Keys ...

... that is why I wrote: "uncounted other turning tools".

Rantanplan7

Post by Rantanplan7 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:40 am

Dear Andrew and Husky I'm speechless.
I have digged a bit deeper into the possibilities to rotate objects like you mentioned. I like both, but in the case I mentioned the Andrews tool is very ergonomic to use.
I feel ashamed that I have not read a bit more about the function before and thanks a lot for your answers - I'm positively surprised that no one wrote RTFM :D
However I will buy Andrews book and will read a bit over the christmas days.
Great program, I already love QCAD. Whenever I can help with translating something to German just let me know.
Best Regards

Sven

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:12 am

Rantanplan7 wrote:I'm positively surprised that no one wrote RTFM :D
That is something what we would never do ..................... soooooooooooooooooo soon! :wink:
Rantanplan7 wrote:Whenever I can help with translating something to German just let me know.
Vielen Dank für das Angebot. Im Falle das Not an Mann ist ist es für die Verantwortlichen gut zu wissen das jemand helfen könnte!

However - you are welcome! Don't worry about the RT.. :wink:

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”