Block questions

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

lphilpot

Block questions

Post by lphilpot » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:58 am

(I apologize for the flurry of posts, but I'm encountering things that make me go "Hmmm" :wink: )

I've come to realize I apparently have a fundamental misunderstanding of what constitutes a block. I've always thought a block was a named entity (or named group of related entities), optionally with attributes, that could be inserted into a drawing. For example: a machine part, window unit, bolt, door latch, drawing frame, etc.

But reading here I see the term block being used at (what appears to me to be) a much more fundamental level in terms of the drawing. Maybe it's related to the technical drawing structure, as opposed to the higher-level abstractions I'm considering? That is, blocks not so much as discrete drawing elements, but rather related to model space, layouts, etc.

I noticed:

I can create a new drawing and by default the block list contains:
  • Model (*Model_Space)
    Layout1 (*Paper_Space)
I do nothing but save it, close it, then reopen it and now the block list contains:
  • *Model_Space
    *Paper_Space
    *Paper_Space0
So, if a block is merely an individual element in a file, why would there be any listed when I've done zero drawing, no importing, etc.? This illustrates my confusion re: blocks as a more significant "meta" element rather than just inserted parts and what-not.

I'm certainly not expecting a 10-page explanation :), but it would be great to get pointed in the right direction so I can clear up my misunderstanding(s). Given my limitations it's difficult know if I've explained myself clearly, but hopefully someone understands what I'm getting at.

Thanks.
Len
QCAD Pro

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Block questions

Post by Husky » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:27 am

Here a link to a brief description about blocks ...

http://www.ribbonsoft.com/doc/qcad/2.2/ ... r04.html#4

Paper_Space Blocks are a completely different Ball game - I'll come back on that soon, ok?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:11 am

lphilpot wrote: I noticed:

I can create a new drawing and by default the block list contains:
  • Model (*Model_Space)
    Layout1 (*Paper_Space)
I do nothing but save it, close it, then reopen it and now the block list contains:
  • *Model_Space
    *Paper_Space
    *Paper_Space0
Yep, that makes no sense! I assume that is a buck in the CE.
lphilpot wrote: So, if a block is merely an individual element in a file, why would there be any listed when I've done zero drawing, no importing, etc.? This illustrates my confusion re: blocks as a more significant "meta" element rather than just inserted parts and what-not.
The "default" Paper Space blocks are used/listed for compatibility reason. Other CAD Programs are using those blocks too and QCAD was so far able to handle extern drawings on that way. Now ... with the latest update .... QCAD has the functionality of Paper Space Blocks / Viewpoints also implemented. Yee-haw!

Long story short. Basically you are right with your understanding regarding blocks!
BUT Paper Space / Layout Blocks are special Blocks - mostly used for print arrangements.

You'll find a brief explanation below: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=5170
lphilpot wrote:I'm certainly not expecting a 10-page explanation ...
Puhhh, saved by the bell! :lol:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

lphilpot

Post by lphilpot » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:45 am

Believe it or not, I had actually read both of your links. But it's nice to get confirmation. So, a drawing is actually a "master block" in a sense, optionally containing other blocks in a nested hierarchical manner (so to speak). Makes sense now.

I'll wait and see if anyone else (Andrew, maybe?) comments on the possible (?) bug.

Thanks.
Len
QCAD Pro

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:52 pm

The Paper_Space blocks are part of the DXF format and there for compatibility. They can be ignored as they have not much use in the community edition.

lphilpot

Post by lphilpot » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:50 am

Thanks for the clarification. Soon hopefully I'll have no reason to ignore them. :D
Len
QCAD Pro

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”