Install on Windows 7

Drop in here to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Ross McCorquodale
Newbie Member

Install on Windows 7

Post by Ross McCorquodale » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:06 am

I'm keen to do some drawings using something vastly simpler than Autocad. I have bought QCAD and installed it on this Windows 7 laptop, which I use as my home office computer, but when I try to start it, it comes up with the error message
"The procedure entry point ucrtbase.terminate could not be located in the dynamic link library api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll."
It's running a 64-bit version of Windows 7, so I used the 64-bit install download.
Might the XP version of QCAD work?
(I eventually managed to download that older version using my Windows 10 laptop, but it was flagged as a virus and I had to force it to accept it.)

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Install on Windows 7

Post by andrew » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:43 am

Ross McCorquodale wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:06 am
"The procedure entry point ucrtbase.terminate could not be located in the dynamic link library api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll."
This is what I found through Google:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 15c7ea1f46
Ross McCorquodale wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:06 am
Might the XP version of QCAD work?
It might or might not. The XP version is really only tested on Windows XP.

Ross McCorquodale
Newbie Member

Post by Ross McCorquodale » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:33 am

Thanks Andrew, I appreciate your quick reply.
The reason for all of this is that I have been using an old but simple CAD program, Generic CADD from Autodesk, from long before they produced Autocad. It's DOS-based, worked well on Windows 95, and years later I could still just get it to run on XP, but the XP computer finally refused to boot up.

This Windows 7 laptop has been sitting unused for a very long time, its battery is no good, and it's now set up with a mouse and a good-sized monitor on the home computer desk where I do my drawings. Generic CADD was simple, but fast, and I could take a component in my hands and very quickly make an accurate 2D drawing for getting new parts made. Autocad's commands, the syntax, the order of doing things, and the bewildering menus are totally beyond my capabilities! QCAD just seemed to work naturally (well, for 15 minutes of free trial!), so I bought it.

Generic CADD produced a .GCD drawing file, which nobody, (especially Autodesk!) can now translate. Fortunately it also exported to .DXF, so almost every drawing I did is still accessible!

This Windows 7 machine is far from up-to-date, and frankly I really don't want to try going through the process, even if it were possible. I never had problems installing anything on it before, 32- or 64-bit. I'll try the earlier version of QCAD.

Thanks again,
Ross

Ross McCorquodale
Newbie Member

Post by Ross McCorquodale » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:27 am

Yes, it works!
QCAD legacy is now running on Windows 7! And I can find my way around the menus. Looking forward to using it.

Next question: At work I use a PC running Vista, and since it was first set up, it has never been connected to the internet. Everything goes in or out of it on a USB stick. It has a very old version of Microsoft Office which works perfectly. It is by a very long way the happiest, fastest and most trouble-free computer I own!

I'm guessing that the legacy version of QCAD would be the one to install there,too?

But as for the Windows 10 laptop, the one that used to be lightning fast when it was new and now often takes ten minutes just to boot up - I dread trying to install new software on it. I probably won't use it to draw, but it's the only computer I can print from. The Canon printer driver actually crashed the Windows 7 machine when I tried to install it, I had to do a system restore...

J-J

Post by J-J » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:27 pm

Hi,
I run the latest QCAD pro on a desktop and a laptop, Main PC is 12 years old, the laptop is probably 8. Both run WIN7 pro-64. I fitted both machines with SSD. The laptop starts in about 30s at most. SSD's are fairly cheap now, and the change is really worthwhile. You must, however re-install Wiindows and also download all available updates but then you have a like new machine!
JJ Win7 pro-64

Ross McCorquodale
Newbie Member

Post by Ross McCorquodale » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:29 pm

Might as well buy a new machine - or the much cheaper option, a refurbished ex-lease one from one of the companies that do that sort of thing.
I'm getting a friend to rebuild an older PC and load Linux, much less drama if all it is going to be used for is spreadsheets, word processing, email and CAD...

Return to “Chat”