Scale

Drop in here to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

deanva
Newbie Member

Scale

Post by deanva » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:27 am

I am using QCAD version 3.12 Windows 10 system. How do I set up a scale like 1inch equals 50 feet for an example?

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Scale

Post by Husky » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:25 am

Common praxis in CAD is to draw everything regardless the size in 1:1. A scaling comes into play during printing - here a link to QCAD printing tutorial:

https://qcad.org/en/tutorial-printing

Note: The tutorial is for the current QCAD version. Not sure how much it relates to your used version von 2015.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

deanva
Newbie Member

Post by deanva » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:16 pm

Well what I want to draw will be to large for full scale I would think using QCAD. Example would be a very tall skyscraper.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:04 pm

deanva wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:16 pm
Example would be a very tall skyscraper.
That is feasible in mm :wink:
And, it can be printed on A4.

Regards,
CVH

deanva
Newbie Member

Post by deanva » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:56 pm

So still draw it full scale what ever I am drawing? I take it the scale on the screen when designing is 1 inch equals 1 inch which to me seems awkward in a way. I wish my old Autodesk Quick CAD would still work, but it doesn't with the newer operating systems.

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:30 pm

deanva wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:56 pm
So still draw it full scale what ever I am drawing? I take it the scale on the screen when designing is 1 inch equals 1 inch which to me seems awkward in a way. I wish my old Autodesk Quick CAD would still work, but it doesn't with the newer operating systems.
That isn't arkward at all and by the way not a QCAD but a CAD thing. Most likely every CAD software will require this approach.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:33 pm

deanva,
deanva wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:56 pm
I take it the scale on the screen when designing is 1 inch equals 1 inch which to me seems awkward in a way.
There is no scale in units on the screen ... CAD works in plain 'units' and 1unit can be whatever you like: 1mm, 1inch or even 1lightyear.
Zoomed auto a square sized 10x10units will display just the same regardless what a unit stands for.

On screen, you can zoom in/out as far as you like within some practical limits.
The rulers, the values and the grid then correspond with the zoom level.

Drawings or parts of drawings only need to be scaled to fit them on a page because the paper itself has a defined size.
Besides that, units are of importance when importing things with a different unit.

Like Husky said,
Common praxis in CAD is to draw everything regardless the size in 1:1
Remark there is no unit in 1:1, its up to you to define what unit is required/standard or what is the most suited for your design.

It isn't awkward at all because everything is in real world size.
Bonus: You don't need to scale each of your measurements before you draw the items.

By this one can draw the Burj Khalifa as being 829840mm, 82984cm, or 2722ft tall.
And all three can be printed fitted on the same size paper using a proper scale. :wink:

Regards,
CVH
Last edited by CVH on Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:09 pm

CVH wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:33 pm
By this one can draw the Burj Khalifa as being 829840mm, 82984cm, or 2722ft tall.
And all three can be printed fitted on the same size paper using a proper scale. :wink:
Even if you put a flag on the top? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Chat”