Some Questions

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

333onlyhalfevil

Some Questions

Post by 333onlyhalfevil » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:08 pm

Hello everyone. I created this thread because I've just started using QCAD for the first time and was wondering about some things. Thank you in advance for the replies. My questions:

1) What is the purpose of the little red crosshairs? If I draw a line from point A to point B, after I'm done drawing the line, there will be a tiny red crosshairs at point B that stays there until I draw something else. Is there a purpose to this and/or is there any way I can disable it?

2) When typing a command into the command line, I first have to click on the command line to select it. Is there any way to make it so when I type a command (e.g., mv for move) it just automatically knows that (unless I'm editing text or something) I want it to go to the command line? If I'm typing mv and I have nothing else selected, it's obvious that that's supposed to go to the command line rather than nowhere.

3) The linetypes drawn within a block don't seem to pass through to the model. For example, if I draw a line within its own block and I make that line layer 0 and select "by layer" for the lineweight, when I use that block within the model space and put it on a layer, it only changes color to match the layer but the linetype (e.g., hidden should be dashed) doesn't come through and it is shown as solid. Am I doing it wrong and/or is there a way to transfer linetypes through from blocks?

4) The lineweight property doesn't seem to make lines thicker and instead only changes the linetype scale. Is that right? Shouldn't selecting a thicker lineweight make the line itself thicker/fatter?

5) I was looking into maybe making my own custom tools and was wondering what's the difference between plugins and scripts, if any? Say I code a custom tool that makes some fancy drawing or something, do I put the javascript file in the scripts folder or the plugins folder?

I think that's it. See attached file to demonstrate what I'm seeing regarding the lineweight and linetype questions. Again, thanks in advance for your time reading this and/or replying.
Attachments
Sample.dxf
(168.24 KiB) Downloaded 243 times

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Some Questions

Post by CVH » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:32 pm

333onlyhalfevil wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:08 pm
1) What is the purpose of the little red crosshairs?
That is the relative position ... The origin when using Relative or Relative Polar coordinates.
Usually the last position you used as coordinate in this instance of QCAD and this drawing.
333onlyhalfevil wrote:
2) When typing a command into the command line, I first have to click on the command line to select it.
The Space-bar is the shortcut to set the focus on the Command Line.
You can type the 2 letter key tool shortcut almost everywhere at any time.
Indeed except when editing text. :wink:
333onlyhalfevil wrote:
4) The lineweight property doesn't seem to make lines thicker and instead only changes the linetype scale. Is that right?
All depends what display mode your are in.
Remark that Screen-based Linetypes is a hybrid.
It will display all somewhat thin/thick and somewhat dashed/dotted in any zoom state.
A line 1mm wide would fill the screen not using Screen-based and zoomed in very close.
But a 1mm wide line would always print as 1mm wide regardless the paper scale.
These sizes are from back in the days we drew with real pens, with ink on chalk paper.
And all depends on Application Preferences and Drawing Preferences.
Linetype may be related to weight, see: Graphics View .. Appearance .. Scale linetype patterns by line weight.
333onlyhalfevil wrote:
5) ... Say I code a custom tool that makes some fancy drawing or something, do I put the javascript file in the scripts folder or the plugins folder?
An addon in the script folder. A plugin is for example the QCAD Pro package, QCAD/CAM.
Remark that there is a relation between the folder structure and the menu structure.
Scripts that you run with XC may be located anywhere, keep those in your personal custom folders.

3) It is all just a mind twist but there are unanswered things too.
Block 'Wall'; 12 lines on layer 0 = White; Color is byBlock; The Block Reference is on Layer 'Wood Walls' = Custom (#cb9866); Color is byLayer
In Model_Space they display in the 'Wood Walls' color (over here).
Now edit Block 'Wall', they are white by the layer.
What color would 'byBlock' be in block edit mode? Where do we set that?
But there are other differences down the line.
Layer 0 may be set as a regular QCAD layer or different ... Best compatibility.

Regards,
CVH

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:54 am

Hi 333onlyhalfevil - welcome to the QCAD comunity.

BTW - I like your nickname. Tells me everything what I need to know ... LOL
333onlyhalfevil wrote:
3) The linetypes drawn within a block don't seem to pass through to the model. For example, if I draw a line within its own block and I make that line layer 0 and select "by layer" for the lineweight, when I use that block within the model space and put it on a layer, it only changes color to match the layer but the linetype (e.g., hidden should be dashed) doesn't come through and it is shown as solid. Am I doing it wrong and/or is there a way to transfer linetypes through from blocks?
Your QCAD preference for layer compatibility is set to "Layer 0 behaves like a regular layer (QCAD)".
Set it to "Layer 0 behaves differently (best compatibility). Entities in blocks on layer 0 take on attributes and visibility of block reference" and you will get what you are looking for. :wink:

Husky_2023_04_28-01.png
Husky_2023_04_28-01.png (26.01 KiB) Viewed 8509 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

333onlyhalfevil

Post by 333onlyhalfevil » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:01 pm

Hmm, I thought I replied to this already. My bad. Thank you both very much for your time/replies. They were very helpful in helping me make that first step from autocad to qcad.

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”