dxf drawing appears blank to others

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

charlielaub
Newbie Member

dxf drawing appears blank to others

Post by charlielaub » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:11 pm

I recently installed QCAD to create a few simple 2D drawings. These consist of a rectangular outline of a panel and a few holes for panel connectors within it.

I wanted to add some dimensional data from my connector supplier (Neutrik) so I downloaded a DXF file of the part. After I imported the file into QCAD there were many new layers with names in German. So I copied what I needed to my original layers and then deleted all the German language layers. I finished my drawing, which now has only 3 layers.

I sent the DXF file to my vendor but he has some problems seeing the drawing I created. First he said the drawing appeared to be blank. Then later he said he could only find the Neutrik title block that was imported as part of their dxf file, but I do not see it when I open the file in QCAD. As a check, I opened my DXF file with a text editor and searched for the text from the Neutrik title block and found it, so that data is still present somehow.

I can see everything in QCAD on my end. I can also export a PDF and that looks fine. But the vendor cannot see any of it, and he needs the data in DXF format so he can upload it to his CNC.

How can I fix these problem so my vendor can see my drawing?

I have attached a file having this problem. There are several other with the same issue.

-Charlie
Attachments
MonoBlock 4U - 8-channel rear panel.dxf
(267.83 KiB) Downloaded 220 times

CVH
Premier Member

Re: dxf drawing appears blank to others

Post by CVH » Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:12 pm

charlielaub,
We probably see the same things that you can. :wink:

3 layers disregarding 'Defpoints'.
There are 8 lines and 39 circles on layer 0, this layer has attributes: White, 0.25, Continuous, Plottable, Snappable
26 Text entities and 13 Diametric Dimensions on layer 'dimensions', this layer has attributes: Green(=Lime), 0.25, Continuous, Plottable, Snappable
7 Text entities and 7 lines on layer 'TITLE AND NOTES', this layer has attributes: Black, 0.25, Continuous, Plottable, Snappable
In total 100 drawing entities and that matches the sum of the above.

I can understand that those on layer 0 don't show on a white background or those in black on a black background.
QCAD has a setting to prevent that.
But then the green dimensions should display in both cases.

I can copy all these to a new drawing, scaled, rotated, whatever you want.
So I don't think there is an issue with these drawing entities.

There are 3 unused block definitions:
- NEUTRIK_BL0: 59 lines and 8 splines
- *X3: 517 line = kinda 'NEUTRIK AG' but then cross-hatched
- ZKOFF: 105 lines, 32 polylines, 13 arcs and 17 text entities
Remark that '*X3' is an invalid Block name.
# EDIT # Oddity: in CE '*X3' is listed as '*X1' and 'NEUTRIK_BL0' is listed before the Layouts.

Unused blocks don't show in Model_Space but the definition is still there.

There are 2 empty Layouts.
Maybe 'the vendor' is looking for something to display in Paper_Space instead of looking at the Model itself.

Regards,
CVH

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:37 pm

Hi Charlie - welcome to the QCAD forum,

I've good and bad news for you. Let's start with the bad news:
charlielaub wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:11 pm
I wanted to add some dimensional data from my connector supplier (Neutrik) so I downloaded a DXF file of the part. After I imported the file into QCAD there were many new layers with names in German. So I copied what I needed to my original layers and then deleted all the German language layers. I finished my drawing, which now has only 3 layers.
Most likely those dxf parts contained screwed up 3D information. QCAD is a 2D application and can't handle 3D.

The good news ... kind of ....
charlielaub wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:11 pm
How can I fix these problem so my vendor can see my drawing?
You can easily fix it with the QCAD Pro version - unfortunately the Community version has not that feature. If I'm right then this modified dxf should work for your vendor. Please test it:

MonoBlock 4U - 8-channel rear panel_mod.dxf
(261.21 KiB) Downloaded 206 times

Offer: If you have only a few drawings (up to 5) with this issue I'm willing to "clean" the 3D information for you with my Pro version. In that case - feel free to PM me.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

charlielaub
Newbie Member

Post by charlielaub » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:04 pm

@Husky

Thank you for your test "fixed" dxf file. I will send it to the vendor to see if they are able to view it. In total I have created only five files, all with about the same complexity as the one I uploaded.

@CVH
The only thing the vendor sees is the attached image. Nothing from my own drawing! I do not know what space he is looking at. I do not see anything of what he sees (the Neutrik title block and info). Very strange.

I wonder if whatever I did somehow corrupted the dxf information.

I like QCAD very much. If I have to upgrade to the 3D Pro version to avoid this in the future I will.
Attachments
Vendor view.jpg
Vendor view.jpg (258.59 KiB) Viewed 8550 times

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:30 pm

charlielaub wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:04 pm
I like QCAD very much. If I have to upgrade to the 3D Pro version to avoid this in the future I will.
QCAD doesn't have a 3D version - only 2D. The Pro is able to fix such things because it isn't uncommon to download accidentally those 3D files (mostly lack of information) and incorporate them in a 2D application. With other words: You are not the first one who had to make this experience - and you will not be the last one ... :wink:
Keep us posted how the test went.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:54 pm

Husky wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:37 pm
Most likely those dxf parts contained screwed up 3D information. QCAD is a 2D application and can't handle 3D.
Please indicate what drawing entity(-ies) is/are in 3D.
I can not find any:
- None of the 100 that should display.
- only the Splines in 'NEUTRIK_BL0' shows 'Varies' for Control point in Z but all Z values are zero.
- only the Polylines in 'ZKOPF' shows 'Varies' for Vertex in Z but all Z values are zero.
Husky wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:37 pm
QCAD is a 2D application and can't handle 3D.
QCAD can handle non-zero pretty good ... The CAM addon relys on that, CAM-entities have Z values.
But you are right when using QCAD drawing tools. These can not all handle 3D very well.
If I want to then I can set the endpoint of a 20 units long line to Z=10, the length will then be 22.36067977 units.
No magic there.
charlielaub wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:04 pm
The only thing the vendor sees is the attached image.
This is the 'ZKOPF' block definition.
Only entity with handle 0x14f is not shown, the text 'FL-9494 SCHAAN' after 'NEUTRIK AG' in line art.
Remark that there is an empty text defined in that block at (517.653158, 512.84859, 0) ... Z=zero :wink:
Like already said, the block is not used in Model_Space and thus will not display in QCAD Model view.

Because none are used you might want to eliminate all unused block.
Copy all the Model_Space entities and paste them in a new virgin drawing document.
What does 'the vendor' see then?

BTW ... Not able to locate 'PACW 6.0' and 'miniCAD' doesn't look like what is in your image.

Regards,
CVH

charlielaub
Newbie Member

Post by charlielaub » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:45 pm

Husky wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:30 pm
QCAD doesn't have a 3D version - only 2D. The Pro is able to fix such things because it isn't uncommon to download accidentally those 3D files (mostly lack of information) and incorporate them in a 2D application. With other words: You are not the first one who had to make this experience - and you will not be the last one ... :wink:
Keep us posted how the test went.
My vendor was able to view the DXF you "fixed". Thank you so much! If it is not too much to ask, can you do that my other files? I sent you a
PM about it just now.

Alternately, I plan to purchase the Pro version and I could do it myself if it is not too complicated. Let me know what you propose via PM.

Thanks,

-Charlie

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:27 pm

charlielaub wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:45 pm
My vendor was able to view the DXF
The major difference is:
MonoBlock 4U - 8-channel rear panel_mod.dxf is in format R27 (2013) DXF Drawing (OpenDesign)
QCAD CE only supports saving in R15 (2000/LT2000) DXF Drawing (dxflib)

Regards,
CVH

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:14 pm

charlielaub wrote:
My vendor was able to view the DXF you "fixed". Thank you so much! If it is not too much to ask, can you do that my other files? I sent you a
PM about it just now.
Great news! We already switch our communication to PM - your files are fixed and ready for download.
charlielaub wrote:
Alternately, I plan to purchase the Pro version and I could do it myself if it is not too complicated. Let me know what you propose via PM
Not complicated at all! More info via PM ... :wink:

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”