Newbie question - how best to draw this?!

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

joeypoo
Newbie Member

Newbie question - how best to draw this?!

Post by joeypoo » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:01 pm

Hi QCADers :)

I have a drawing (attached) that I'd like to represent much better than my simple colouring pencils. It is to scale on my paper (although not perfect on the photo I've snapped for you here) and from what I gather QCAD is too, but I'm struggling.

I've had a try with various tools, free-handing, importing the image and trying to draw around it etc and I can't get anything to look decent! I have no idea what I am doing, as I am new to this kind of software.

The software looks fantastic, and I'm going through tutorials online, but I hoped someone might be able to tell me how they'd do it, so I can learn about those tools specifically. There are so many! All I want to do is recreate my comparison drawing as it is, so the four shapes in colour to distinguish them. The tallest is 16.3cm and the widest is 14.5cm and for reference it's a bit bigger than the space on my drawing tablet.

I am on a Windows 10 PC and using the free QCAD.

Any thoughts would be most welcome and gratefully received.
Jo
Attachments
IMG_20220427_120609.jpg
IMG_20220427_120609.jpg (2 MiB) Viewed 9939 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Newbie question - how best to draw this?!

Post by Husky » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:01 pm

Hi,

I have good and bad news for you ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The good news is - it is absolute doable with QCAD. e_surprised
The bad news is - the combined shapes are not that easy as it looks like. :(

The problem with the sketch is that most of the geometry depends on other involved shapes. If you have e.g. an ellipse which has to join an other shape tangential you are not really free in choosing the dimensions and if your overall dimension has to be 16.3cm by 14.5cm then it will be even more difficult to archive that. But - with basic geometry knowledge it will not be a problem!

However - to get you started: You will most likely need to get familiar with the Rectangle, Arc, Circle and Ellipse tools. Additional the "Break out Segment", maybe the "Trim both", "Rotate" and "Round" tool. Did I forgot something .............. yep - most likely ... :oops:
However - that is a nice project for practice reasons and it will teach you a lot of QCAD tools. Every tool you know will help you with your next project ... :wink:

Husky-2022.06.07-05.png
Husky-2022.06.07-05.png (24.95 KiB) Viewed 9927 times
I would start with the overall rectangle, then the rounded triangle, then the circle and so on ...
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

joeypoo
Newbie Member

Post by joeypoo » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:05 am

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help and I'll take a look at the tools and see if I can get further :)
What you've done there is just what I need, so I looks doable if I can work things out better. Thank you!

joeypoo
Newbie Member

Post by joeypoo » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:51 am

I've had a try and I've completely failed, but just wanted to thank you again for your help. I got so much further this time.

The shapes can be on different layers from what I gather and stack over each other, but I just can't get the shapes to replicate properly. They don't have to layer exactly as I've drawn, but just be comparable. I thought I'd manage it, but I think I'll have to hire someone to do it, as I've spent so long trying to learn and I should really be doing the work that's building up! It was fun to try though, so thank you.

tukuyomi

Post by tukuyomi » Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:50 pm

Don't know how much late my answer is.
I took this as a challenge to get my hands on Qcad again.
I must say this was a good exercise ;)

Here is what I got :
#p37621.png
#p37621.png (120.13 KiB) Viewed 8894 times
Attachments
#p37621.dxf
(112.18 KiB) Downloaded 280 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:33 pm

tukuyomi wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:50 pm
I must say this was a good exercise ;)
Looks good! Yes agree - that is a nice "exercise project".
tukuyomi wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:50 pm
I took this as a challenge to get my hands on Qcad again.
Talking about QCAD - may I ask you what happened to this project?

https://www.qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=5888

You are still working on it or what is the reason for not making it into a QCAD release?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”