Grid dimensions changed after saving file

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

sbbjcf
Newbie Member

Grid dimensions changed after saving file

Post by sbbjcf » Thu May 05, 2022 9:20 pm

Hi,

I'm using QCAD for my personal landscape design. I imported a bitmap from Google Earth and set the dimensions according to the scale from Google Earth. I did this many months ago and don't remember how it was done. But everything was working fine. I added many layers and hid the original bitmap layer. My design is approximately 100' x 100' and that's what shows on the grid dimensions. But when I saved my drawing to a new name and later opened it, the grid dimensions had changed. My drawing now takes up approx 8.5' x 8.5' in the grid dimensions instead of the 100x100. What could have changed this? I have an old copy of my design that has the correct grid dimensions (Backyard 2.dxf) and the newer design that was saved as Backyard 3.dxf with the problem. I've attached both files. So I really have two questions:

1. How can I get my original dimensions back in my latest file?

2. What are the steps in setting the dimensions when importing a bitmap? I must have stumbled across how to do it in the beginning but I now have no clue now.

I just ordered the print copy of the manual but it won't arrive for a couple of weeks and I'm not sure that it will be covered there. Thanks for your help!!!
Attachments
Backyard 3.dxf
Newest file with the problem
(178.53 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
Backyard 2.dxf
Older file without the problem
(202.42 KiB) Downloaded 285 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Grid dimensions changed after saving file

Post by Husky » Thu May 05, 2022 11:37 pm

Hi,

many things could cause this result but nothing what was triggered by QCAD itself. However - your Grid is identical. I would try first to convert the drawing from Foot to inch. Then check the measurements and what ever is the result we will take it from there.

Convert with Menu / Edit / Convert Drawing Unit
Option Bar: Foot to inch / confirm

Take a test measurement ...
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

sbbjcf
Newbie Member

Re: Grid dimensions changed after saving file

Post by sbbjcf » Sat May 07, 2022 8:34 pm

That fixed it! Converting from foot to inch changed the design back to the original approx 100' x 100'!

Can you tell me though how I would scale an imported bitmap that contains something with a known dimension. For example importing a bitmap of a house when you know the long wall is 51 feet. After importing, how would you make the dimensions in QCAD show that wall as 51 feet? That's what I did originally to start my design but I don't remember how to do it.

Thanks for your help!
Sandy

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”