Blocks, which layer to use?

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Blocks, which layer to use?

Post by Husky » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:02 am

Thanks Andrew - I think with this information I understand now how it currently works in QCAD.

However ...
andrew wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:07 am
You have to choose between using layer 0 or using the By Block approach for your block contents.
... after doing a little research regarding this topic in the www it seems to me that other programs don't have to chose between "Layer 0" and "By Block" - they can use both feature in the same block. It makes sense to me and I'm wondering why that isn't (for compatibility reason) is implemented the same way in QCAD Pro ...
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Blocks, which layer to use?

Post by andrew » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:05 am

Husky wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:02 am
it seems to me that other programs don't have to chose between "Layer 0" and "By Block" - they can use both feature in the same block. It makes sense to me and I'm wondering why that isn't (for compatibility reason) is implemented the same way in QCAD Pro ...
Yes, that's what the preference "Layer 0 behaves differently" does.

What I meant is that you have to choose for your block contents, i.e. each entity inside your block if you want to use the layer 0 "magic" or use "By Block" attribute values.

I'm pretty sure the layer 0 behaviour is a backwards compatibility / legacy thing that was invented before there were "By Block" attribute values. Personally, I stick with the "By Block" attributes as I find that much more concise and deliberate.

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”