Adding dimensions without arrows and extensions

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

CAD4All

Adding dimensions without arrows and extensions

Post by CAD4All » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:07 am

Is there a way of adding dimensions to lines without the arrows and extensions? I am wanting to add the lengths of the boundaries of the allotment on which my home is built. I know I could simply use text. However, the boundaries don't run at right angles to each other. So I am looking for a way of adding the dimensions so that they align with the respective lines.It is not the convention to use arrows and extensions when showing these dimensions on a site plan.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Adding dimensions without arrows and extensions

Post by andrew » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:14 am

You could set the Arrow size and Extension line extension drawing preferences to 0, the Fixed Extension Line property of the dimension to true and the Extension Line Length property to something very small (not 0 as that disables it).

CAD4All

Post by CAD4All » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:51 am

When I tried to dimension the boundaries nothing showed up. So I opened a new drawing space, added a rectangle and was able to add a dimension to one side of the rectangle. However, I then thought that it might be easier simply adding text. Yet when I entered text into the text tool and clicked OK the text did not appear at the cursor. Again, I opened a new drawing space and entered the text tool again. This time the text appeared at the cursor and I was able to position it in the space. It seems that something I have done to my drawing is interfering with both the Dimension tool and the Text tool, but I have not been able to work out what is doing this.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:03 am

CAD4All wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:51 am
It seems that something I have done to my drawing is interfering with both the Dimension tool and the Text tool, but I have not been able to work out what is doing this.
Most likely you are trying to place a text or a dim on a locked layer. Check the layer list and unlock the active layer.

Husky-2021.09.30-04.png
Husky-2021.09.30-04.png (19.29 KiB) Viewed 6346 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:32 am

CAD4All: if you cannot solve the problem, please do attach your drawing file so we can help efficiently (see also "Forum rules" at the top of the page).

CAD4All

Post by CAD4All » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:57 am

Andrew, I'm sorry. I hadn't noticed the rules at the top.
I am using QCAD version 326.4.0 on MacOS Big Sur 11.6
Attachments
House Block 2.dxf
(41.45 KiB) Downloaded 298 times

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:27 am

Your drawing is much larger than the texts you've inserted. For a text to be visible, it would have to be at least 500 units in height. I can see 6 text entities with text height 1 or 5.

CAD4All

Post by CAD4All » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:47 am

Oh, I understand. I am used to thinking of the size of text in terms of what can be seen. I need to change my frame of reference. Thanks for clarifying that point, Andrew.

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”