Problem with line length.

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

corvuscorax4
Newbie Member

Problem with line length.

Post by corvuscorax4 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:20 am

Hi,

i started to use free Qcad version few days ago and i like it a lot. I am using metric system. But noticed problem maybe somebody can help to solve it? I made drawing in mm add dimensions and everything looks good saved as .dxf but when i am opening .dxf file with other software the drawing is much bigger as it should be. It is in inches. in Qcad i made line 20mm in autocad i get 508mm same line. Where can be the problem what i am missing. I changed drawing units in mm in drawing and application preferences. Tried to reinstall QCAD but still getting same problem. Maybe somebody can help me to solve this problem?

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Problem with line length.

Post by Husky » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:05 am

corvuscorax4 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:20 am
I changed drawing units in mm in drawing and application preferences. Tried to reinstall QCAD but still getting same problem. Maybe somebody can help me to solve this problem?
The settings in Application Preferences is meant for NEW drawings. To change the settings for the actual loaded drawing you have to change the Drawing Preferences. But note that that only change the unit name! If you need to convert an existing drawing from e.g. inch to mm you have to use the Convert Unit tool below Menu / Edit / Convert Drawing Unit.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

corvuscorax4
Newbie Member

Post by corvuscorax4 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:47 pm

i am only testing this program write now. I need to change units for all feature drawings. Is it possible to change units one time and forever. Or i need convert units and make some other options every time?

corvuscorax4
Newbie Member

Post by corvuscorax4 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:49 pm

after i set units to mm and creating new drawing i am still getting .dfx file in inch. In QCAD all dimensions are good but in other software in inch.

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:07 pm

Please attache a QCAD mm drawing which shows up in other application as an inch drawing to see what is going on. Thanks.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

corvuscorax4
Newbie Member

Post by corvuscorax4 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:32 am

I attached drawing it should be 20x20mm square. It is in QCAD but in other software i get 508x508mm square.
Attachments
test2.dxf
(26.04 KiB) Downloaded 319 times

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:03 am

Thanks for the test drawing.
corvuscorax4 wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:32 am
I attached drawing it should be 20x20mm square. It is in QCAD but in other software i get 508x508mm square.
I tested the drawing in three different CAD software packages. Range from Freeware to High end. Every software was able to load the drawing, unit was always mm and the rectangle was rendered 20 by 20. With other words - worked like a charm.

However - it seems to me that your "other software" has an issue. Maybe you need to adjust the units in that software before you load a drawing or it has a general problem with the dxf format which is in QCAD CE the dxf R15 format.

For testing: I saved your test drawing with QCAD Professional as a R27 dxf format. Please check with your "other software" how it works regarding the unit.
test2_mod.dxf
(103.58 KiB) Downloaded 304 times

corvuscorax4
Newbie Member

Post by corvuscorax4 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:52 pm

Thank you for yuor help. I tried your file on solidworks edrawings program and i still get same dimensions. But today i tried on work computer with autocad and there was everything ok so i think problem is with edrawings. If there is problem with this software only then it is ok for me because this is not my main program. In a few days i will test with other software and let you know how it works.
Attachments
test2_mod.jpg
test2_mod.jpg (105.46 KiB) Viewed 6874 times

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:07 pm

corvuscorax4 wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:52 pm
... In a few days i will test with other software and let you know how it works.
Deal! :wink:

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”