[solved] Trouble loading and importing .dwg files

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

eastern-quoll
Newbie Member

[solved] Trouble loading and importing .dwg files

Post by eastern-quoll » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:24 pm

My last 2D CAD was DraftSight Free, but I have recently lost my Free version and two or 3 backups. Being in need of doing a bit of very simple mechanical engineering I figure I would change to QCAD community version. Instead of trying to dig even deeper in my backups.

At 77 years of age I am now having noticeable trouble with rembering, putting me at a slow working pace too.

Version:
3.21.3.8 (3.21.3.8)

Running on a PCLinuxOS, which has coped very well Draftsight Free

I am trying to find my way in QCAD, I can open and do basic things and save. I have downloaded and opened a .dxf file I found in a question in community section of Forum, aaa.dxf

My next step was to get hold of a small handful of dwg files from my other systems. Some DraftSight files held here:

/home/gert/QCAD/From-Win7-computer-DWGs/DraftSight/

When trying to import I get:
Error while importing file /home/gert/QCAD/From-Win7-computer-DWGs/DraftSight/190219-sun-oven-tilt-mechanism.dwg

Any hints what direction I should go from here ? :D

Ah also trying to get used to the forum options. Like editing a post etc. as I noticed I did not attach copy of the file.
190219-sun-oven-tilt-mechanism.dwg
(29.22 KiB) Downloaded 337 times

eastern-quoll
Newbie Member

Re: Trouble loading and importing .dwg files

Post by eastern-quoll » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:42 pm

OOOOPS, now I understand, and I think I had seen something about that earlier, the community version does not support .dwg. Details found here

https://qcad.org/en/qcad-documentation/qcad-features

I will have to look at converting my older files to .dxf

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”