How to get past the "Transaction failed..." error

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

copyrightx
Newbie Member

How to get past the "Transaction failed..." error

Post by copyrightx » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:02 am

So most everything I try to do with the attached file fails with the error message: "Transaction failed. Please check for block recursions and locked or invisible layers or blocks."

I don't know how I got this document into this state, but it wasn't through anything very sophisticated. Can anyone tell me how to fix this document so that I can continue developing it? I can't get the application to respond as expected to any command I have tried, from L,A to D,A or most anything.
Attachments
test.dxf
Try doing a L,A command in this document. Fails as indicated in post.
(65.53 KiB) Downloaded 583 times

copyrightx
Newbie Member

Re: How to get past the "Transaction failed..." error

Post by copyrightx » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:04 am

Using QCAD 3.9.1.0 (3.9.1) with Qt Version: 4.8.6 from an Arch Linux built-in package.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:31 am

The crucial hint in the error message is about locked and invisible layers. Most of your layers are locked and / or invisible. If a layer is locked or invisible, it cannot be modified and you cannot draw on it.

A layer is locked if the lock symbol beside it is black. You can unlock / lock layers by clicking on that lock symbol:
Screen Shot 2015-06-12 at 08.29.12.png
Screen Shot 2015-06-12 at 08.29.12.png (37.59 KiB) Viewed 11365 times
A layer is invisible if the eye symbol beside it is gray. You can make it visible / invisible by clicking on that eye symbol.

copyrightx
Newbie Member

Post by copyrightx » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:11 pm

Wow, big help. Thank you very much. Even more important, your reply helped me discover how I locked all of my layers: while trying to use hot-keys to select the length of a line that I was about to draw with a just-issued [L]ine, [A]ngle command, I used the Alt+L key combination. The first time I did so, I dropped the Layer menu down (not what I wanted). Then thinking that another Alt+L key combination would select the length of the line, I (now see that the second Alt+L key combination) locked all my layers :( . The third Alt+L key combination did finally select the length that I wanted to select, but I didn't notice the padlocks in the layers tab appearing with the second Alt+L.

What's the best way to be able to use hot-keys for selecting that Length field without locking all my layers on the way to doing that?

And what's that Defpoints Layer in your image above? I don't see that in my drawing...

massimo

Post by massimo » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:39 pm

I have the same error message when trying to delete a layer. I also tried toggling the visibility via context menu. In the context menu there is no item about locking a layer.
I can't see those icons for each layer to toggle visibility and locking. There is only the layer name.
My current build is the very latest version from the repo:

Code: Select all

Version: 
3.19.1.0 (3.19.1)
Internet: 
QCAD.org
Build Date: 
Nov 19 2017
Revision:

Qt Version: 
Architecture: 
x86_64