How do I set the thickness of lines?

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

total_snarf
Registered Member

How do I set the thickness of lines?

Post by total_snarf » Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:24 pm

For lasercutting I need to set the thickness of all lines to 0.076mm I can't find a setting to change this, is there one?

Windows 11
Version 3.29.6

CVH
Premier Member

Re: How do I set the thickness of lines?

Post by CVH » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:08 am

Hi, and welcome to the QCAD forum.

First, CAD uses a limited set of Line-weights from 0.05 up to 2.11 mm whatever your measurement system or drawing unit is.
That is the thickness of your line-art on paper or on screen when not using screen based line types.
This has been a standard from the days when we drew directly on paper with ink pens.
Line-weights don't scale, one can't scale the real world pen in any way.
A Line-weight of 0.00 mm was later added especially for Laser purposes, this will usually not print very well.

Second, a laser CAM nor any other CAM would rely on the Line-weight.
The G-code output is considering the vector-art and vectors have an infinite small or no weight at all.
There is thus no reason for setting something as specific as 0.076mm even if that would be the laser spot size.
Merely for representation I would use 0.05 or 0.09mm where the latter is the most realistic. :wink:

On the contrary there is a topic about a (very) old school laser system that required a special thickness using a printer driver.
The exported thickness specifies engraving vs cutting:
https://www.qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9842
The presumed solution was then a special setting before each print command although 0.05mm should be below the threshold.

One can set different custom widths than the common CAD Line-weights for polylines.
Globally or per segment a start and end width.
Still, in those cases the vector art is merely the center line.

Regards,
CVH

total_snarf
Registered Member

Post by total_snarf » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:19 am

Hi there, while I now understand that there is a set range of sizes, that does not explain how to actually set the line thickness. The menus of this program are incredibly not intuitive. I have as such switch to a different cad software that doesn't look as good, but is far simpler to use and has a way to change line thickness right on the main screen.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:43 am

total_snarf wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:19 am
Hi there, while I now understand that there is a set range of sizes, that does not explain how to actually set the line thickness.
Common practice is that the attributes are inherited from the layer.
https://www.ribbonsoft.com/en/tutorial- ... ith-layers

An entity that lives on 'layer 1' then has the attributes set to 'By Layer'.
To change attributes for a layer we edit the layer attributes.
Select the layer from the Layer List and Edit Layer (YE)

One can however set individually custom attributes for each drawing entity.
This is not common practice.
To alter that we adapt the attributes of the entity (-ies) in selection in the Property Editor.
Make a selection and see Property Editor ... Color/Lineweight/Linetype drop down box.

To set the default custom attributes for new entities activate the Pen Toolbar.
Again not common practice.
total_snarf wrote:
The menus of this program are incredibly not intuitive.
Probably because you are new to it. :wink:
Have you watched the newly added video tutorials? https://www.ribbonsoft.com/en/documentation/tutorials
total_snarf wrote:
I have as such switch to a different cad software that doesn't look as good, but is far simpler to use and has a way to change line thickness right on the main screen.
What is not common practice but perfectly possible with QCAD.

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”