Question - what future plans for the CAM module

Discussions around the CAM Add-On of QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Indicate the post processor used.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

K0nrad

Question - what future plans for the CAM module

Post by K0nrad » Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:18 pm

Hi,
In my opinion, the CAM module is one of the very strong points of QCAD. It makes QCAD positively different from many other CAD programs available. It was also an argument for me that made my choice regarding the QCAD purchase. I would like to ask if there are any new functions / options planned in the CAM module in the future upgrades.

Best Regards

Konrad

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Question - what future plans for the CAM module

Post by andrew » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:00 am

The main priority at the moment is porting QCAD an QCAD/CAM to Qt 6 which unfortunately is a major undertaking due to Qt deprecating a vital module. New features for QCAD/CAM will be considered after this.

K0nrad

Post by K0nrad » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:40 am

Hi,
Thank you for your response. I wish you quick and trouble-free completion of this process.
How advanced are you in this operation?

Regards
Konrad

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:51 pm

I started to port QCAD from QScriptEngine (Qt 4 and 5) to QJSEngine (Qt 6) about 6 months ago. This process involves creating script bindings for the entire Qt API for JavaScript from scratch. These bindings were previously readily available for Qt 4/5. I'm far enough to know now that the problem can indeed be solved but it's a major effort. Hopefully there will be light at the end of the tunnel towards the end of the year or beginning of next year.

lagnat

Post by lagnat » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:59 pm

Hi Andrew,

Does this help you at all? Specifically "No binding code is needed because it is done dynamically using the Qt meta object system"

https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qjsengine.html#q ... ntegration

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:24 pm

Yes, the basic interoperability between Qt and JavaScript is also possible with QJSEngine. But there are no existing bindings for the Qt API. Bindings are definitely needed since Qt classes do not expose their functions with Q_INVOKABLE and by far not all classes are even derived from QObject. We also need to be able to inherit JS classes from Qt classes, override events (paintEvent, mouseMoveEvent, ...), call the function of the base class ("super"), etc. This is where things get really complex.

Return to “QCAD/CAM”