Change output format without loosing the Profiles & Drill paths?

Discussions around the CAM Add-On of QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Indicate the post processor used.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

raemin
Newbie Member

Change output format without loosing the Profiles & Drill paths?

Post by raemin » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:09 pm

Hello,

As I was struggling with a python script that would not process my commands unless the line number is removed I just made a custom Output format based on GrblMM. So far so good my script is happy with the new GCode format.

As soon as I select the new format all my previous profiles and drills tool-paths (stored in in 4 layers called "GrblMM/..." ?), are not exported any-more (only the newly created paths in "GrblCustom/...").

Is there any way to move the tool-paths from GrblMM to GrblCustom ?

(Thanks for any hint.)

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Change output format without loosing the Profiles & Drill paths?

Post by andrew » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:05 pm

Tools and toolpaths are always defined for the current configuration (post processor).

The only way to move tools or toolpaths between different configurations is to rename the blocks that represent the tools and toolpaths. You can do this in the block list as follows:

- Make sure the block list shows internal blocks (i.e. Edit > Application Preferences > Widgets > Block List > Hide internal blocks is unchecked.
- Rename all blocks with "GrblMM" in the block name to "GrblCustom" instead. E.g. "CAMTOOL$$GrblMM$$1" to "CAMTOOL$$GrblCustom$$1", etc.

Alternatively, you can open the DXF file with a text editor an replace "GrblMM" with "GrblCustom" if you are comfortable with that.

raemin
Newbie Member

Re: Change output format without loosing the Profiles & Drill paths?

Post by raemin » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:15 pm

Thanks for the tip, I have cleared all the previous garbage (layers and blocks), and once everything is clean again, a search and replace directly in the DXF did the trick.

Return to “QCAD/CAM”