CAM Setting Should be Remembered - Bug or Feature Request

Discussions around the CAM Add-On of QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Indicate the post processor used.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

jeffk
Registered Member

CAM Setting Should be Remembered - Bug or Feature Request

Post by jeffk » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:12 am

From a usability point of view I feel some of the CAM stuff gets neglected. So some opinions/suggestions/points to follow. If I mention something that can already be accomplished, please explain the process, if there is or isn't documentation, please say so and point to what does exist.

Two big issues...

1. The CAM configuration always defaults to the same one, by same one, I mean the hard-coded default one. There should be a way to specify the default in the settings. (I know templates exist, but that shouldn't be a way to specify defaults)

2. This may make #1 not so bad. After adding a bunch of tools and paths, when I change the CAM configuration, those are lost. The CAM configuration, as far as I know is solely based on the exported data (GRBL, etc) I don't see why paths and tools are attached to a specific configuration. So for example, if I create a drawing, and then didn't change it from the default CAM configuration of "G-Code(G41/G42)" add some tools and paths. Then realize it should really be the CAM config of "GRBL (offset)", I shouldn't have to again add tools and add paths. They should still be there. Sure, maybe need to be regenerated, which can really be done when switching CAM configs. But it is all the same. Should not have to be re-done.

3. CAM tools... Tools should be universal/global to the application. I get the idea of having them per file, but that should be secondary to global, not primary before global. I don't think most users are handing off drawings to someone else with paths, tools and CAM setting already in place. They are adding the paths locally. However I do my work on multiple computers. So maybe there needs to be a balance here. This may apply to the other issues above too.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: CAM Setting Should be Remembered - Bug or Feature Request

Post by andrew » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:13 am

Thanks for your feedback.
jeffk wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:12 am
1. The CAM configuration always defaults to the same one, by same one, I mean the hard-coded default one.
Edit > Application Preferences > CAM > CAM Export > Configuration used for new drawings
jeffk wrote:
After adding a bunch of tools and paths, when I change the CAM configuration, those are lost.
This is absolutely intended and important behaviour. A single drawing may contain tools and toolpaths for various configurations (think "post processors" or "machines"). These should never conflict with each other, so it's crucial to keep these strictly separate.

Note that tools and toolpaths do not vanish if you change the configuration. They are simply linked to the current configuration and if you switch back to "G-Code (G41/G42)", they will re-appear.
jeffk wrote:
3. CAM tools... Tools should be universal/global to the application.
There is a way to add default tools per configuration in the next release / current snapshot release. This is based on a template file (e.g. "postprocessors/GCodeMM.dxf"). These defaults are added to a drawing when a configuration is first used on that drawing but are from then on also stored in the file.

Each drawing stores its own set of tools and toolpaths by design. As you mention, loading the drawing on a different computer with the same software should yield the same result, so the drawing file needs to store all this data. We have no plans to change this.

CVH
Premier Member

Re: CAM Setting Should be Remembered - Bug or Feature Request

Post by CVH » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:31 am

jeffk,

Please elaborate on:
A) 1 machine, manual tool change, labeled set of tools.
> Q: Does every machinist labels its tools the same way?
B) 1 machine, tool changer, fixed set of tools in the arsenal.
> Q: Does every machinist loads its tools in the same order?
C) A workshop with several similar machines with tool changer and different tools in the arsenal.
> Q: Should global tools always supersede for all machines?
andrew wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:13 am
Default tools per configuration based on a template file.
Would be great for C): same "post processors"/"machine" , different tools set.
jeffk wrote:
A) I shouldn't have to again add tools and
B) add paths....Should not have to be re-done.
A: Solved with the proposed update.
B: IMHO:
Once a path is created with a tool in a certain configuration, any change to the last two implements that the existing path is no longer valid.
jeffk wrote:
They are adding the paths locally.
The counter example would be a PC in the office, at home and a standalone PC in the workshop controlling the machine.

The standalone PC is good practice, no internet nor other link, no other apps running, no uncontrolled updates ...
... still, some last minute changes can be made.
Usually, I only port the G-code downstairs ... by stick.
When it is running fine, usually hours, I go back upstairs to continue with another project.

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD/CAM”