Hello from the Eastern Shore, Maryland, USA

Post to this forum to introduce yourself to this forum if you are new here. You might want to include some information about the work you are doing or planning to do with QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

TallBob
Newbie Member

Hello from the Eastern Shore, Maryland, USA

Post by TallBob » Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:05 pm

I mainly use CAD for designing home remodeling projects and small building construction plans. Nothing "professional," but sufficient to submit for building permits.

I have been an IMSIDesign TurboCad user for a number years. I am looking at QCAD because it has a simpler interface and, in general, seems easier to use than a full-fledged CAD system. [ I hope I don't get a lot of feeback about how QCAD is that. ]

So far, what I like about QCAD is that its just easier to do things. I also suspect that I can write a program in C or REXX that would generate a stream of QCAD commands, like a macro or a command script that I could feed into it.

I've only been playing with QCAD for a few days and still have a lot to learn about the interface, but so far it seems pretty intuitive.

bob
Last edited by TallBob on Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Hello from the Eastern Shore, Maryland, USA

Post by CVH » Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:51 am

Hi, and welcome Bob to the QCAD forum.
TallBob wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:05 pm
I also suspect that I can write a program in C or REXX that would generate a stream of QCAD commands ...
Scripting under QCAD uses ECMAScript and C++ is also an option.
https://www.ribbonsoft.com/doc/qcad/latest/developer/
TallBob wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:05 pm
... generate a stream of QCAD commands, like a macro or a command script that I could feed into it.
QCAD also includes a simple API:
https://www.qcad.org/doc/qcad/latest/de ... imple.html
https://www.ribbonsoft.com/en/tutorial-the-script-shell

You may want to consider DrawFromCSV for QCAD Pro.
This tool can draw almost any basic drawing entity (and a few more) with a macro based CSV .
It handles layers, colors, linetypes and can do much more things than what is possible with the simple API.

As example

Code: Select all

NewLayer,Examples,Black,015,Continuous,true,true
Point,40,50
Line,70,0,100,100
Arc,1100,500,106.301458,228.814075,156.037511,true
Regards,
CVH
Last edited by CVH on Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

TallBob
Newbie Member

Re: Hello from the Eastern Shore, Maryland, USA

Post by TallBob » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:11 pm

Thanks for those good tips. I will investigate them to see how they fit into what I what I might want to do. Just theorizing with no specific intent yet.

As I dig into QCAD more and more I am liking it more and more. For example: Printing with TurboCad is a PAIN. QCAD is really simple (the way it should be). I still have a lot to learn, but I'm impressed with what I see so far. When I have a question this forum has been very useful.

bob

Return to “Introduce Yourself”