Exploring QCAD

Post to this forum to introduce yourself to this forum if you are new here. You might want to include some information about the work you are doing or planning to do with QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Grafpaper
Newbie Member

Exploring QCAD

Post by Grafpaper » Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:20 am

I’ve been using Macromedia Freehand for decades (it still works), it is a 2D, vector-based program. I want to make more accurate drawings so I’m trying out QCAD to see what kind of a learning curve is required to transition to a different type of drawing program. After drawing a rectangle and trying to move it I can see it will be a big transition.
QCADCAM version 3.28.2 on Windows 11

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Exploring QCAD

Post by Husky » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:26 am

Hello Grafpaper - welcome to the QCAD forum.
Grafpaper wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:20 am
I’ve been using Macromedia Freehand for decades (it still works), it is a 2D, vector-based program.
QCAD is easy to learn but it will not be easy to get rid of the habits used over a long time at a predecessor program. However - I'm confident you will master it in no time! :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:08 am

Hi,
Grafpaper wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:20 am
After drawing a rectangle and trying to move it I can see it will be a big transition.
Try this:
Make a selection.
- E.g. by selecting individuals lines with Shift-Click or with a box or selecting the rectangle shape that is a polyline.
Point not on a reference marker (Endpoint/Node) but just near it. Markers are the little colored squares.
Click, hold and start to drag.
- A preview of your selection will now stick to your cursor at the reference marker.
You may now release your mouse button.
Move it to where you want it and place it with a next click.
Or place it with typing the new position in the Command Line in absolute, relative and/or polar.

If you picked a reference marker itself you will only alter the position of that point. :wink:

Regards,
CVH

Grafpaper
Newbie Member

Post by Grafpaper » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:28 pm

Thank you for the tips. It will take time to learn new techniques.

I like that there is a manual available (I'm a technical writer). I reviewed the Table of Content and Index which helped me decide to try QCAD.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”