Greetings from Canada

Post to this forum to introduce yourself to this forum if you are new here. You might want to include some information about the work you are doing or planning to do with QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

MikeJ

Greetings from Canada

Post by MikeJ » Mon May 16, 2022 8:29 pm

I'm semi-retired developer with around 30 years of experience. I started out as a board draftsman and then the company I was working for purchased AutoCAD version 9.0 and I was hooked. I learned all I could and began developing scripts in AutoLISP to be more efficient. After 12 years I started doing corporate development and then went into management.

I wanted to get back into CAD drafting/development so I started looking for something other than AutoCAD and found QCAD. It's an amazing product! I've since then developed a few scripts. Here's a few I've done so far:

Layer Manager - Creates layers from a SQLite database utilizing the AIA CAD Layer Guidelines
Tablet Grid - Inserts blocks, runs script blocks, scripts, commands, or other tables from an 8x8 grid tablet.
HVAC Ductwork - Draws double-line ductwork
Structural Shapes - Draws AISC W, S, M, HP, C, MC, WT, ST, MT, angles, rectangular and round HSS shapes from XML data sources
Piping Symbols - Inserts pipe fitting symbols that automatically breaks the lines, and if in isometric view, inserts an isometric version of the block with correct angle and horizontal flip
Architectural Doors and Windows - Script blocks that creates doors and windows
Isometric Circles - Draws isometric circles based on the current isometric projection

I've attached some pictures so you can get a better idea of what these tools look like.

I hope QCAD continues to succeed and looking forward to see what upgrades there'll be in the future :)
Attachments
piping tablet.jpg
View showing a piping tablet loaded
piping tablet.jpg (41.49 KiB) Viewed 12793 times
layer manager - templates.jpg
View showing the Layer Manager Templates tab
layer manager - templates.jpg (40.26 KiB) Viewed 12793 times
layer manager - layer.jpg
View showing the Layer Manager Layer tab
layer manager - layer.jpg (45.38 KiB) Viewed 12793 times
hvac tablet.jpg
View showing an HVAC ductwork tablet loaded
hvac tablet.jpg (43.27 KiB) Viewed 12793 times

ryancousins
Premier Member

Re: Greetings from Canada

Post by ryancousins » Tue May 17, 2022 2:40 am

Welcome to the forum, MikeJ.

It looks like you really know your way around scripting! I really like the AIA layer guide.

I look forward to seeing what other tools you might develop.

petevick
Premier Member

Post by petevick » Tue May 17, 2022 6:10 pm

MikeJ wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 8:29 pm
Layer Manager - Creates layers from a SQLite database utilizing the AIA CAD Layer Guidelines
Tablet Grid - Inserts blocks, runs script blocks, scripts, commands, or other tables from an 8x8 grid tablet.
HVAC Ductwork - Draws double-line ductwork
Structural Shapes - Draws AISC W, S, M, HP, C, MC, WT, ST, MT, angles, rectangular and round HSS shapes from XML data sources
Piping Symbols - Inserts pipe fitting symbols that automatically breaks the lines, and if in isometric view, inserts an isometric version of the block with correct angle and horizontal flip
Architectural Doors and Windows - Script blocks that creates doors and windows
Isometric Circles - Draws isometric circles based on the current isometric projection
Hi Mike and welcome to the Qcad forum.

All of your tools look very interesting indeed, have you considered sharing them with the Qcad community ?? I'm sure there are quite a few users that would find them very useful.

I too did a lot of AutoLISP programming back in the day, but I just can't get my head around Qcads scripting environment.
Pete Vickerstaff
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon, Qcad Pro 3.29.4

ryancousins
Premier Member

Post by ryancousins » Tue May 17, 2022 6:30 pm

petevick wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 6:10 pm

All of your tools look very interesting indeed, have you considered sharing them with the Qcad community ?? I'm sure there are quite a few users that would find them very useful.
I 2nd that!

MikeJ

Post by MikeJ » Wed May 18, 2022 7:20 am

For sure, I'll post some of my content... would be nice to have some QA done on it :)

John Hyslop
Premier Member

Post by John Hyslop » Fri May 20, 2022 9:54 am

Nice work, I'll 3rd that.. :D

I also came from AutoCad.over 35years. and I'm totally hooked on Qcad now.... ..

Looking forward to downloading your scripts and trying them out. :)

Cheers
John Hyslop
IF IT IS TO BE IT IS UP TO ME [ Ten most powerful 2 letter words ]

Bilal_AU

Post by Bilal_AU » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:27 pm

Hi Mike,
That is some seriously nice work you have done there. Looking forward to following you on your journey here with QCAD.
I am only just starting out with it and so far it looks promising.

MikeJ

Post by MikeJ » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:18 pm

Ok, I've managed to complete the builds for the QCAD Utilities and created a thread in the "QCAD Programming, Script Programming and Contributing" forum.

Hope it works ok! :)

LenVW
Newbie Member

Post by LenVW » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:41 pm

I started with AutoCAD 2.6 back in 1988 and worked at process engineering for 30 years.
Equipment layouts, hydraulics, P&IDs, Tooling development, fabrication layouts and design concepts all need graphic tools and my drafting board is too cumbersome to share with remote sites.

You guys seem to have had similar experiences as I have had with Autodesk.

QCAD seems to be too good to be true, are there any glitches ?
KW-Dynamec
LenVW - KW Area

Return to “Introduce Yourself”