Hi from a Brit' in Portugal

Post to this forum to introduce yourself to this forum if you are new here. You might want to include some information about the work you are doing or planning to do with QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Jph
Newbie Member

Hi from a Brit' in Portugal

Post by Jph » Sun May 24, 2020 2:48 pm

Hi all,
Name is Joe.
Nice to meet up with you guys an gals
I am a retired Brit' but living in Portugal. New user to QCAD/CAM
I have a small home CNC router that I intend to use for acrylic and aluminium for aircraft panels for flight simulation.
Usually triple layer panels with back-lit engraving.
Absolutely loving the program.
I had a cad package about 20 years ago - can't remember the name - but it was fairly good. QCAD is amazing though.
Congrats to Andrew and all contributors for a fantastic package.
Not sure at this stage if I will use the 'cam' part - it all depends how complex it is. For my type of use I have been looking seriously at Estlcam for the CAM interface as it is so beautifully easy and simple to use. (it is NOT a CAD package - purely a CAM tool setter and driver).
The CAD work will obviously ALL be done in QCAD. I really hope I can get to grips with the CAM interface in QCAD/CAM though. I am quite a way off that yet though. :) :) :D

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Hi from a Brit' in Portugal

Post by andrew » Mon May 25, 2020 8:08 am

Thanks for your introduction and welcome to the forum.

Please read through the QCAD/CAM tutorial to get started with QCAD/CAM. This guides you through the steps to create tools, toolpaths and output G-Code:
https://qcad.org/en/tutorial-qcad-cam

Jph
Newbie Member

Re: Hi from a Brit' in Portugal

Post by Jph » Mon May 25, 2020 2:20 pm

Hello Andrew and thank you for the reply. I don't know why I couldn't find that help page ? that is fantastic. It really DOES look easy. :o (even for me)
It is all a bit overwhelming at first, but I am already well on my way to producing my first panels at the design stage.
The tool paths and setting seem logical, that is great. Do you have a section on engraving ? - or is that basically just a case of the correct tool / path and Z dimension (depth of cut) ?
What a super program. Huge thanks.
Joe

Return to “Introduce Yourself”