Hello from Denmark

Post to this forum to introduce yourself to this forum if you are new here. You might want to include some information about the work you are doing or planning to do with QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

MuHcOw
Newbie Member

Hello from Denmark

Post by MuHcOw » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:45 am

Hi - I'm new :)

I've been working with AutoCAD (2D) and Catia v5 (3D) for years - not claiming to be an expert though - and are now looking for an affordable alternative for private use only.

QCAD seams to be a very good starting point and I'm really looking forward to learning the ropes.
I'm not planning on doing any 3D designs, 2D is all i need.

I'm not a programmer so I won't be able to contribute much to the QCAD project - But I'm thinking about buying the "Professional" edition.
So far I'm on the Trial edition and HAVE been able to get a few things done :D - It all takes a bit longer than usual, but I guess that's pretty normal when you are not yet accustomed to the new routines.

If there's a wishlist where we can add suggestions regarding new QCAD functionality, where would I find it?

I'd like to add Dynamic Blocks to that list.
Designing such a feature will be a HUGE task I'm sure - But it sure would be a useful feature.

/MuH

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Hello from Denmark

Post by CVH » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:19 pm

Welcome to the QCAD forum.

On Dynamic Blocks see:
https://www.qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic. ... 05&p=41966

Regards,
CVH

MuHcOw
Newbie Member

Post by MuHcOw » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:27 pm

Sorry, but that doesn't really look like the feature I'm looking for (I could be wrong).

Those familiar with AutoCAD (2012 I think) dynamic blocks knows what I'm referring to.
Simple and yet very powerful - No programming skills needed, and it's all setup from within AutoCAD.

Parametric constraints ARE a part of dynamic blocks, true - But having to know Python or having to setup those parameters in a spreadsheet outside QCAD is backwards and non intuitive.

Both methods feels like a "workaround" and not an actual solution to a problem.

Will I be able to design such a solution myself? - Absolutely not!
I'm totally impressed by those who can do magic coding like that.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:17 am

MuHcOw wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:27 pm
Parametric constraints ARE a part of dynamic blocks, true - But having to know Python or having to setup those parameters in a spreadsheet outside QCAD is backwards and non intuitive.
Both methods feels like a "workaround" and not an actual solution to a problem.
Agreed, both methods are a workaround, but they are both a (partial) solution to a problem: The lack of parametric constraints.
The main differences are:
- DrawFromCSV is not to far less visual to start with.
- DrawFromCSV supports all common drawing entities and much more like layers, attributes, ...
Your spreadsheet skills are the limit to what can be accomplished.
Its initial origin was a solution for the issue that QCAD doesn't support entering a list of sequential instructions via the Command Line very well.
When the CSV list of instructions is based on Math then it mimics designing based on constraints.

From what I've seen when dealing with dynamic blocks, there is a huge amount of parameterization required for complex blocks.
Sometimes leading to circular and/or unsolvable constraints.
At this point most drawing entities are unrelated to each other in QCAD.
That would require a major turnaround regarding entity properties.

Many things can already be done with the QCAD stretch tool in several steps and with a proper selection.
Simply dragging selection markers with a proper selection may already solve simple constraints.
Dynamically constructed blocks can also be done with script library items (See DiningTable in default examples).

Bottom line:
IMHO one should not try to compare QCAD with for example ACAD2012 without comparing the price tag ... :roll:

Regards,
CVH

MuHcOw
Newbie Member

Post by MuHcOw » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:12 am

CVH wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:17 am
Bottom line:
IMHO one should not try to compare QCAD with for example ACAD2012 without comparing the price tag ... :roll:
Thank you for the :roll:
I don't believe I'm comparing QCAD to AutoCAD by saying that it would be really cool if ONE of the features found in AutoCAD could be implemented in QCAD one way or another without making it too complicated for the average user (I'm not an average user yet).
Nothing wrong with getting a little inspiration from others (as long as you don't copy their code).

Dynamic Block functionality inspired by AutoCAD are on my wish list for QCAD - I don't expect to get my wish fulfilled anytime soon.
I'm guessing the lack of "requests" for this particular feature all comes down to "If you haven't tried it, you don't know what you are missing out on".

Anyone using AutoCAD on a daily basis should try and check out the Dynamic Block functionality - You won't regret it.

Dynamic Blocks relies HEAVILY on parameterization and constrains - But it doesn't lead to circular/unresolvable constraints.
If you try and add a constrain that would lead to such thing, AutoCAD would tell you "no" and give you a slap on the hand.

Huge task to implement? - YES!!
But it's still on my wish list, and it should be on everyone else wish list too, if they know what's good for them :wink:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”