Hello From Arizona-USA

Post to this forum to introduce yourself to this forum if you are new here. You might want to include some information about the work you are doing or planning to do with QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Mangy Badger
Newbie Member

Hello From Arizona-USA

Post by Mangy Badger » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:11 am

Just became a QCAD draftsperson a few weeks ago. My drafting experience spans almost 50 years. Board drafting with a T-square on my first job in 1974 working for the local gas company. My first exposure to the CAD world was AutoCAD 3.14 back in the early 80s. Fast forward to 1995 when Autodesk had their first version of AutoCAD that was strictly 2D (AutoCAD 95). A few years later, they marketed AutoCAD LT as a stand-alone 2D "Buy-it once" software. And that's when the pricing became prohibitive to we small drafting businesses. I bought my first copy of TurboCAD in the later 90's for $59...and boy did it suck! I couldn't use it, so I continued with AutoCAD LT (2D) for a few more years, only upgrading every 3-4 years due to the price. In 2019, Autodesk migrated to a subscription only system. That didn't bother me so much as the exurbanite cost of the subscription. By 2019, TurboCAD was much improved, but nowhere close to QCAD's solidness...I so wish I had known about QCAD in 2019, but I digress. Tired of the quality of the cost of their product, I was done! Although you "Buy-It-Once", the TurboCAD folks diable your short-cuts after a year, which forces to buy another "Upgrade". I'm retired (pensioner) that does remodel work as a side-hustle. And can't afford to pay for a CAD program I really didn't need. Construction industry needs 2D "As-Builts" and not a 3D surface-rendered Ferrari. QCAD is an awesome drafting solution for anyone who wants to document their build or develop a detail involving odd angles and installs. I used QCAD to document my home HVAC system so I could install a SMART Thermostat...it worked!

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Hello From Arizona-USA

Post by CVH » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:16 am

Hello and welcome to the QCAD forum.
QCAD is indeed not a 3D surface-rendering Ferrari application but not a Fiat type either. :wink:
Primarily intended for 2D tasks and equipped with the most essential 2D methods and more.
It is able to process 3D drawings to a certain extent, the drawing methods are mainly 2D.

It was never intended to be an ACAD clone and in my opinion it is very intuitive to use.
Glad it worked out and that in a few weeks. :P

Thanks for sharing, kind regards,
CVH

Return to “Introduce Yourself”