Thought I'd say Hello

Post to this forum to introduce yourself to this forum if you are new here. You might want to include some information about the work you are doing or planning to do with QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

HhockeyNomad
Newbie Member

Thought I'd say Hello

Post by HhockeyNomad » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:29 am

Hi,

Just want to say Hello and share how QCAD helped me out.

The company i work for in recent years has been reducing and replacing AutoDesk licenses. not suprising looking at the cost.

I am not a Draughtsperson, and I don't ave a need for using a CAD program everyday in my Job. But, as a maintenance engineer. I do have times and projects where I need a CAD program in order to illustrate and communicate an idea or solution. I have access to many DWG files for the equipment and systems i am responsible for.

I had a copy of Draftsight on my personal laptop and that had filled the need, until the free version was discontinued.

This left us in a bit of a hole, we either had to speak to management to get cost codes for drawing departments to update drawings, but often this was at very early stages and when I'd like to communicate a solution to management to get approval for cost codes. it just became a nuisance.
I was now scanning hand drawings. its 2022!!!!

QCAD came to the rescue. I battled through the 15 minute trial time out until I learned my way around the interface and managed to quickly get done what i needed to do.

The portable version is a great help, as a man having to live in a corporate controlled environment.

I wrote a very simple bat file i threw into the extracted zip file. and was off and running.
bat file contents below.

Code: Select all

@echo off
start %~dp0qcad.exe -config %~dp0config
The above code will run with a config folder inside the QCAD folder instead of on the drive root like the website indicates to do, but seems to be working just fine. and I always know what the config folder is for.

I've invested in a QCAD Pro license to show my gratitude.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Thought I'd say Hello

Post by andrew » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:15 pm

Welcome to the QCAD forum and thanks for your introduction and kind feedback!

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Thought I'd say Hello

Post by Husky » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:10 am

Hello HhockeyNomad - also from me a welcome to the QCAD forum.
HhockeyNomad wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:29 am
I wrote a very simple bat file i threw into the extracted zip file. and was off and running.
bat file contents below.

Code: Select all

@echo off
start %~dp0qcad.exe -config %~dp0config
The above code will run with a config folder inside the QCAD folder instead of on the drive root like the website indicates to do, but seems to be working just fine. and I always know what the config folder is for.
Nice solution! Let me share two thoughts on that.
1. "config folder inside the QCAD folder": In the case you are updating QCAD it would be an unnecessary struggle to move the ini from the previous to the updated QCAD installation. You can avoid that when you save the ini outside of the QCAD tree. Create your dp0config folder on the thumb drive root for the ini and every QCAD version will use the same path ... without any intervention from you. :wink:

2. Long time ago I was in the same situation like you that my programs had to be available on something "mobil" like a thumb drive or Extern SSD drive. bat files are working nice but I had to create one for every program and the worse thing with that was that I had to remember which bat file starts which program. I had 20 or so programs on the thumb drive. :(
Lazy me - my solution was to use a simple tray tool (Freeware) to start user defined applications. From now on I had only to remember the file name to start the panel - the rest was business as usual on windows ...

Husky-2022.09.20-02.png
Husky-2022.09.20-02.png (15.71 KiB) Viewed 8404 times
They are working also with command line parameters like -config %pdrive%\dp0config" what makes it easy to set up a start menu.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “Introduce Yourself”