UI Disappearing in macOS

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

figbash
Newbie Member

UI Disappearing in macOS

Post by figbash » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:05 am

Hi, I'm running QCAD Pro 3.25.2 in macOS Catalina. It generally runs fine, but randomly the entire UI besides the canvas area will disappear/become invisible. It will reappear if I command-tab to another window and back, or if I do something to refresh the specific panel then that one will reappear again.

Once the issue happens once, it starts happening super often, even after quitting and reopening QCAD, and makes it nearly unusable.

It's not obvious what causes it to happen, and seems random (it will happen during using a tool and also when just panning around)

I never noticed it happening before about a couple weeks ago and I haven't updated QCAD or the OS or changed anything else, it just randomly started happening as far I can tell. I have been working on the same file the whole time and it's rather complex, so I thought maybe it could be related to the file but I don't see how.

Anyone have any ideas?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 6.41.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 6.41.11 PM.png (6.58 MiB) Viewed 3349 times

andrew
Site Admin

Re: UI Disappearing in macOS

Post by andrew » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:29 pm

We're currently looking into this. It seems to be a bug of Qt under some Catalina installations. We will likely update to a newer Qt version (5.14) for the next (snapshot) release to fix this problem.

In the meantime: could it be that this happens after the computer went to sleep?

figbash
Newbie Member

Post by figbash » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:05 am

OK good to know it's being looked at!

What do you mean by after it went to sleep? Do you mean putting the computer to sleep while QCAD is open?

This is occurring on a MacBook 16", which I put to sleep probably 20 times a day and rarely ever reboot, so I don't think it's related to sleeping as it didn't happen to me for quite some time. I thought it might have something to do with using the discrete vs integrated GPU, but I don't think it does after trying it with different GPUs active. I also thought it was related to using an external monitor, but I've had it happen without the monitor connected. I do feel like it happens more often when connected to the external monitor though.

Unfortunately it's difficult for me to reproduce it consistently so I keep thinking I've found a workaround and then it will suddenly occur again.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:57 pm

Snapshot 3.25.2.4 with a potential fix (Qt update to 5.14.2) is now available from your download link (under "Snapshots").

This can be installed in parallel with your stable QCAD release (simply rename the .app bundle or install to a different folder. Any feedback on whether this is solved or not would be appreciated, thanks.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”