Problems saving files - "Empty Record Name" error

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Frustrated0172
Registered Member

Problems saving files - "Empty Record Name" error

Post by Frustrated0172 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:01 pm

I'm an existing customer since 2016. I just updated my version of Qcad Pro today (July 30 2020). I have 64-bit Windows Qcad Pro on a HP ENVY 64-bit Windows 8.1 Version 6.3 Build 9600. When I opened the attached file, most of the line and layer weights were way thicker than what they are supposed to be. When I tried to Save the file, or Save As under a different file name, I always got the "Empty Record Name" dialog box. The attached file was created today in AutoCAD (unsure of version, a draftsperson at work did it for me and sent me the .dwg file). Please help.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Problems saving files - "Empty Record Name" error

Post by Husky » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:22 pm

Hi,

thanks for the information regarding the drawing. May I ask you additional what is the real world size of that box (as a reverence) and what is the goal of the printing page / scale.
Right now I've the feeling the box is somewhat around 8 by 8.5 inch and the printing scale should be around 1" = 2" on an Ansi A. Is that correct?

Husky-2020.07.30-01.png
Husky-2020.07.30-01.png (97.25 KiB) Viewed 6191 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Frustrated0172
Registered Member

Post by Frustrated0172 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:32 pm

The file is an illustration in a MS Word 365 document. Estimated size is 6.0" wide by about 7" high (to be proportional). For MS Word 365, I can save the file as a Scalable Vector Graphic (.svg) and import it as a "picture". I just want it to be a) sharp (by getting the line widths in the layers back to what they should be) and b) savable without constantly getting the "Empty Record Name" warning box.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:30 am

Sorry, I'm not familiar with a workflow like that one and not able to give you tips how to solve the issue. Hopefully somebody else can help you.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:52 am

Line Weights
Please check your drawing unit / size. If the drawing is in Inches, please set the drawing unit accordingly under
Edit > Drawing Preferences > General > Drawing Unit > Drawing Unit: Inch

Empty Record Name
This seems to be caused by a linetype in the drawing with an empty name. I've sent you a private message with the fixed drawing file.

viction
Registered Member

Post by viction » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:01 am

andrew wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:52 am
Name
This seems to be caused by a linetype in the drawing with an empty name. I've sent you a private message with the fixed drawing file.
Can you explain what you did to fix this? how did you find linetype in the drawing with an empty name?

afecelis
Registered Member

Post by afecelis » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:17 pm

I had the same error and this thread pointed me into the right direction to fix it. The idea of having an object with empty information in the drawing makes sense. I was able to fix it by purging unused layers and then resaving/saving as:
Menu: Layer > Purge Unused Layers.

If it's a Qcad Pro-only feature then another option is to download Bricscad shape (free for commercial use), you need to create an account:
https://www.bricsys.com/bricscad-shape
Download your OS version installer (Windows/Mac/Linux supported), open the problematic dwg file in it, and type "purge" in the command bar followed by enter or spacebar to purge all unused layers/blocks in the drawing. Save/Save as, and open in Qcad, the file is now OK to save in Qcad.

If it's the 1st time you're using Bricscad it'll offer you a 30 day trial of its commercial programs for 2d/3d/BIM/mechanical design. Shape, the free version, is a separate button in the lower left corner, and always remains active after the trial period of the other products.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”