font (style) not read/written properly when importing/exporting dxf

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

dec1
Registered Member

font (style) not read/written properly when importing/exporting dxf

Post by dec1 » Mon May 11, 2020 1:35 pm

Hello.

I have a file dxf file (see attached 'arial.dxf') containing text which has been assigned the font ("style" attribute) "Arial".
I open this file with QCad (3.24.3) then it seems not to use this value. If I select the text item in the UI the Properties, it shows
'standard' as the value for "Font Name". I manually choose "Arial" as the value and save the file (see attached 'textstyle11.dxf'). It seems that "Arial" is no longer the value of the attribute "style" in the dxf file but "textstyle11".

Why is QCad not reading/writing the actual font family name from/to the dxf file (but apparently its (own?) aliases like "textstyle11") and can I do anything to rectify this?

Thanks in Advance

P.S
The a
Attachments
textstyle11.dxf
(99.64 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
arial.dxf
(14.61 KiB) Downloaded 265 times

andrew
Site Admin

Re: font (style) not read/written properly when importing/exporting dxf

Post by andrew » Mon May 11, 2020 4:41 pm

QCAD does not support text styles for usage simplicity. As you have probably already noticed, you can create texts with any font, size and formatting without having to create text styles.

When saving a DXF/DWG file, QCAD automatically creates text styles as needed (one style per font combination).

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”