Odd Thick Lines - Unreadable .dwg from older version

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

TimO
Newbie Member

Odd Thick Lines - Unreadable .dwg from older version

Post by TimO » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:10 pm

I just upgraded to 3.24.3 after not using Qcad for a few years. I have 2 drawings made with either version 3.7.5 or 3.12.4. Not sure which exactly, as I used Linux one one PC and Windows on another and didn't always have the same version installed. Presently I'm running Windows 10 64-bit with 3.24.3.

Of my 2 drawings, one opens fine (N14YT's electrical drawing), the other opens with thick lines and is unreadable (N104CD's Drawing). Is there any idea why? Do I need to uninstall and go back to the old version and do something different? I'm not sure why one of them worked and the other didn't when I tried to edit and update them today. I attached N14YT's original and the Rev6 which I edited with 3.24.3. They both work fine.

Attachments
N14YT_Electrical_Schematic_Rev6.dwg
(136.39 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
N14YT_Electrical_Schematic_Rev5.dwg
(133.54 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
N104CD_Electrical_Schematic_Rev9.dwg
(355.2 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
Using 3.7.5 pro on both Linux and Windows

TimO
Newbie Member

Re: Odd Thick Lines - Unreadable .dwg from older version

Post by TimO » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:30 pm

Replying to my own post, but I tried to select all on the layer and edit the layer for lineweight 0.00mm, and that fixed a few lines. But then I selected the entire drawing with all lines and chose lineweight 0.00mm and that cleaned it up. Not sure if I'll face any other odd effects, but at least this got it readable again.

Looks like there are still issues though, because when I cut some components off of N14YTs drawing and put them on N104CDs, they are huge compared to the other entities, so I'm guessing there was some scaling issue between versions, too.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:51 pm

TimO wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:10 pm
Of my 2 drawings, one opens fine (N14YT's electrical drawing), the other opens with thick lines and is unreadable (N104CD's Drawing). Is there any idea why?
All of your example drawings are loading just fine. But your screenshot shows ... Rev8 which I don't have ...

Husky-2020.03.20-01.png
Husky-2020.03.20-01.png (29.76 KiB) Viewed 3983 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:58 pm

TimO wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:30 pm
Looks like there are still issues though, because when I cut some components off of N14YTs drawing and put them on N104CDs, they are huge compared to the other entities, so I'm guessing there was some scaling issue between versions, too.
You are using different units (inch and none) for the drawings which can lead to surprising but correct effects in combination with copy/paste. That is not a QCAD version issue.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

TimO
Newbie Member

Post by TimO » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:44 pm

Whoa! Many thanks for that tip! I corrected that in the drawing properties and now cut and paste gives an equal size! It looks like I'll be able to edit the drawing and basically correct everything so that they are much more equivalent.

Sorry I had the screenshot from Rev8, but didn't include that one. I originally posted but my post disappeared when I was forced to re-login, so I had to type it all up again and decided for brevity to attach fewer docs. I didn't include 8 because it acted just like the other one.

Thanks for the help today!

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”