Multiple attributes with identical TAG within block only display single attribute

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

TaoHawaii
Newbie Member

Multiple attributes with identical TAG within block only display single attribute

Post by TaoHawaii » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:24 pm

If you define 2 attributes within a block and assign them the same TAG, only 1 will be displayed. The expected behavior is to have them both be an "alias" to the other so changing any will automatically update all TAG-homogeneous attributes within the block instance. Is this a bug or is this by design? If by design I should be prevented from reusing TAGS within a block.

Thank you soo much! I love QCAD!

QCAD Version: 3.24.3.0
Attachments
BlockAttributeDupTAG.dxf
(104.86 KiB) Downloaded 346 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Multiple attributes with identical TAG within block only display single attribute

Post by Husky » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:53 pm

Not sure that I understood the issue correctly. :oops:

Please help me to break it down:
TaoHawaii wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:24 pm
If you define 2 attributes within a block and assign them the same TAG, only 1 will be displayed. The expected behavior is to have them both be an "alias" to the other so changing any will automatically update all TAG-homogeneous attributes within the block instance.
Every attribute used in a block stays independent in Model_Space. If you use the same attribute multiple times in one block it will be used multiple times in that block. Other inserted blocks stay untouched.

Husky-2020.03.18-01.png
Husky-2020.03.18-01.png (4.27 KiB) Viewed 3166 times
If you need to change a tag for multiple inserts then you can select all of them and change the tag within the Property Editor:

Husky-2020.03.18-03.png
Husky-2020.03.18-03.png (29.5 KiB) Viewed 3166 times

Will that answer your question?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

TaoHawaii
Newbie Member

Re: Multiple attributes with identical TAG within block only display single attribute

Post by TaoHawaii » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:46 am

I think I understand what you said about attributes being unique within Model_Space, so changing the value of one won't affect any others. Thanks for the clarification.

I continue to grapple with the other part of this where attributes don't display in Model_Space. I can see them when editing the block *MyBlock, but not in the inserted block in Model_Space. This appears to happen any time I have attributes with the same TAG defined in Block: *MyBlock. I tried (in Block Edit) copying and pasting a defined attribute "REVISION" and neither was displayed in Model_Space after attribute synchronization.

Note: The "REVISION" attributes aren't displayed.

Block: MyBlock
Block reference ID: 86
Block attribute: REVISION: –
Block attribute: Y: Y
Block attribute: X: X
Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 8.33.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 8.33.43 AM.png (29.96 KiB) Viewed 3155 times
Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 8.34.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 8.34.17 AM.png (28.93 KiB) Viewed 3155 times

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”