Linux: QCAD Menu Disappeared

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

andrew
Site Admin

Linux: QCAD Menu Disappeared

Post by andrew » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:11 am

From a QCAD user:
The QCAD application menu no longer displays a menu (File, Edit, View, etc.)

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Linux: QCAD Menu Disappeared

Post by andrew » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:16 am

Some Linux window managers move the application menus of all applications to the top of the screen. You might have to move the mouse all the way to the top of the screen to display and use the menu.
Screenshot 2019-09-02 at 09.07.52.png
Screenshot 2019-09-02 at 09.07.52.png (175.54 KiB) Viewed 7864 times

Camzl1

Post by Camzl1 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:36 am

I have had two instances with two separate computer installs with Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS where this is happening with the Unity desktop and it is happening with QCAD Pro 3.23.0.

The menus are there at first when you open the program. As soon as I use the File/Open dialogue and bring in a dxf File successfully the menu disappears.

I have already tried complete removal of all QCAD entries in the system and ./config folder in the home directory. Re-install again same thing. I remove completely again and then install 3.22.0 and the issue never happens. I have verified this on two separate intel nuc computers and both reverting back to 3.22.0 fixes the menu issues for me.

Also as far as the behavior is set for me in Unity is for all windows to have the menus in the programs title bar and to stay active and NOT hide after the mouse is off the title bar.
Best Regards,

Eric Pate
CNC Technical Director
Terminator Diamond Products, Inc

https://www.terminatordia.com/

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:51 am

Just to clarify: Does the menu appear when moving the mouse into the menu bar?
Is the issue that the application does not honour the preference to always show the menu or is the menu broken?

You might want to try the latest snapshot release 3.23.0.3 (the package with name "QCAD Professional SNAPSHOT 3.23.0.3 for Linux Qt 5.13 64bit"). This experimental package links against Qt 5.13 which might fix the issue.

Camzl1

Post by Camzl1 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:54 pm

I will post a screen grab video for you when I get back in from my travels. The menus appear at first. I will also try the snapshot as you suggest. Thank you Andrew, always, for your quick responses. I will be back Monday and I will re-post then. Sorry I can’t be quicker as my laptop is running Windows 10 and is fine.
Best Regards,

Eric Pate
CNC Technical Director

lphilpot

Post by lphilpot » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:08 am

Just curious - Are you running any other QT(5)-based apps? Do they have the same issue? Or are your other apps based on other frameworks such as GTK, Motif, etc.?

Also, FWIW, 16.04 is old and unsupported, but that's somewhat tangential to the question here. I've run QCAD under 16.04 and now 18.04 on Xubuntu without issue, but that doesn't involve Unity (and my QCAD version isn't quite as new).
Len
QCAD Pro

Camzl1

Post by Camzl1 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:05 pm

IPhilPot. I have one other QT made application running. The issue is not present on the previous version while that application is running also. Ubuntu 16.04 is an LTS release and is supported until 2021. So no, it is not unsupported.
Best Regards,

Eric Pate
CNC Technical Director

lphilpot

Post by lphilpot » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:05 pm

You're right about LTS - Ubuntu changed that policy. It was 3 years desktop and 5 years server, but now it's 5 years for both. But the bundled packages are a bit old. I moved from 16.04 to 18.04.02 last spring, which gave me some handy updates on several programs.
Len
QCAD Pro

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”