Possible Bug in 3.23.0.0 - Create Block from Selection/Block Insert

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

52buickman
Newbie Member

Possible Bug in 3.23.0.0 - Create Block from Selection/Block Insert

Post by 52buickman » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:30 pm

I'm a newb with QCAD and am still learning. I believe I've bumped into a bug in version 3.23.0.0 Professional on Fedora 30 Linux using the "Create Block from Selection" routine. I created a drawing object on the Model and selected entities followed by "Create Block from Selection" to create a block and leave a block reference in the Model. I got this:
<CODE><s>

Code: Select all

</s>[i]Command:[/i]: blockcreate
Transaction failed.  Please check for block recursions and locked or invisible layers or blocks<e>
</e></CODE>
The new block was created with all the entities being moved to the new block but the block reference was not created on the Model in its place after the move. I then tried to "Block Insert" to put it back on the Model. I got:
<CODE><s>

Code: Select all

</s>[i]Command:[/i] blockinsert
Transaction failed.  Please check for block recursions and locked or invisible layers or blocks<e>
</e></CODE>
I discovered that a layer (in this case only one layer was used) used by the selection going to the new block was in edit mode. It appears that the "Create Block from Selection" routine isn't checking/needs to check for locks on layers associated with the selected entities at the beginning of the routine before executing the actual creation of the new block and removing the selected entities from the Model block. Just guessing, but the error is thrown in a subroutine creating the block reference since it happens also on a "Block Insert". Or maybe the "Block Insert" shouldn't care about layer locks since it is only creating a reference and not altering the block's layer attributes?

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Possible Bug in 3.23.0.0 - Create Block from Selection/Block Insert

Post by Husky » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:47 pm

Hi 52buickman - welcome to the QCAD Forum,

I've problems to reproduce the issue. One example - I don't know what you mean with:
52buickman wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:30 pm
I discovered that a layer (in this case only one layer was used) used by the selection going to the new block was in edit mode.
Layer was in edit mode?

Howsoever - could you please present a step by step procedure to reproduce that behavior? If necessary with an example dxf/dwg and/or screenshots. Thanks.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

52buickman
Newbie Member

Post by 52buickman » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:29 pm

Thank you for responding. I've tried to replicate the problem since but have been unsuccessful as well. I have since sporadically bumped into the lock error while performing other tasks than just the "Create block from selection".

I can't put my finger on it since it is seemingly inconsistent. It sniffs of a locking subroutine that sets locks on execution of a task and the subroutine performing the unlock doesn't have a complete list of locks previously set to get them all unlocked. I've worked around the problem by just routinely performing the "Layer">"Unlock all layers" as a workaround.

Is there a command line history stored somewhere? That might give some clues. I didn't capture it myself since I was pressed for getting a design finished.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:56 am

There is something with being selected and/or being active (edit mode).
Since ... since the lower options of R-click 'Layer List' are no longer Y+ Y-

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:17 am

I started a topic with critical sound.
https://qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6465
And this was related to the many non-castings I encounter recently.
I thought that I entered a feature request ... it ain't filed.

Edit: A lot of my postings here and on the bugtracker fail to be filed???
Last edited by CVH on Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:06 pm

There is surely something with Layers being selected and/or being active (edit mode).
This time I had two active Layers
Attachments
Two active Layers.png
Two active Layers.png (16.87 KiB) Viewed 9727 times

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”