[solved] "Recovering file: ..." message

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Relic

[solved] "Recovering file: ..." message

Post by Relic » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:13 pm

Hi,
every time I open a QCAD file I get the message box "Recovering file: path/filename.dxf" and I have to click the OK button to continue , then a second box with the message "Recovery complete" pops up and waits until I click OK. If I close and reopen the file in the same session it opens normally.
I am using QCAD Professional 3.21.2 on OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.
Attachments
QCad-message-1.png
first text box, must click OK to continue
QCad-message-1.png (14.26 KiB) Viewed 7231 times
QCad-message-2.png
second text box, must click Ok to continue
QCad-message-2.png (9.51 KiB) Viewed 7231 times
cassettone.dxf
example file, the said issue happens with a moltitude of files saved in R27 .dxf format.
(123.53 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
Last edited by Relic on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: "Recovering file: ..." message

Post by Husky » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:51 am

QCAD will save a backup file for the case that you need it after a crash etc. If you saved the drawing properly the backup file is automatically deleted. The recovery message will not pop up without a backup file.

This said - save your drawing, terminate QCAD and check if you still have a backup file in the drawing directory. The backup file should have a file name like ~cassettone.dxf.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Relic

Post by Relic » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:12 pm

Hi Husky,
thanks for the hint, unfortunately there are not such a temporary files in the drawings folder, perhaps QCAD stores them in a different path on OS X?
I usually save the projects manually before closing the session and QCAD keeps "recovering" them.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:15 pm

A recovery would indicate that there's something wrong with the DXF file (for example an invalid header value, invalid layer name, etc.) or perhaps that the DXF version is not supported. I can load the file you have attached here without problems with QCAD 3.21.2.

Here's a wild guess:

Could it be that you have multiple versions of QCAD on your system and that the version linked to your DXF files is an older one? One that does not support DXF R27?

Try this:
- Double-click a DXF file in Finder
- QCAD > About QCAD
Check if the version number of QCAD is indeed 3.21.2.

Relic

Post by Relic » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:09 pm

I have only QCAD Pro 3.21.2.0 installed.

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:22 pm

I'm on Windows what means I'm not familiar with your OS. However - two additional thoughts.

1. Start a search on the whole system for all variation on a ~cassettone.dxf file - assuming this issue exist only with that file.
Under Windows I would search for *cassettone*.dxf

2. What happens when you rename the original cassettone.dxf to e.g. cassettone2.dxf? Will the "Recovering file" message still pop up?

FYI: I've no problems to load you file on my OS.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Relic

Post by Relic » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:45 pm

1. No "other" files found. Most of my drawings are affected by recovery, the exceptions being rather simple drawings containing just a bunch of entities.

2. If I rename a file affected by the recovery issue and double click on it I get the recovery message box.

3. All of my drawings load regularly in QCAD Pro 3.15.5.

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:51 pm

Relic wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:45 pm
3. All of my drawings load regularly in QCAD Pro 3.15.5.
How is that possible???????
You said:
Relic wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:09 pm
I have only QCAD Pro 3.21.2.0 installed.

Relic

Post by Relic » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:40 pm

I keep the previous licensed releases in my archive, I took the latest before 3.21 (i.e. 3.15.5) and installed it temporarily on another partition.
By the way, I tried installing 3.21.2 on a different disk and it worked smoothly. To cut it short, the problem is somewhere in the QCAD3.ini file (OS X path is /user/.config/QCAD/). :lol:

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:28 am

Relic wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:40 pm
To cut it short, the problem is somewhere in the QCAD3.ini file (OS X path is /user/.config/QCAD/). :lol:
I doubt that but go ahead just to be sure: Rename(!) the ini to reset QCAD. Then launch QCAD and see if the issue persist.
How / where can be find here:

https://qcad.org/en/tutorial-resetting- ... figuration

Relic

Post by Relic » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:26 am

I already had the prove that there is something wrong in my .ini file. When QCAD was installed on the test partition it created a new configuration file with a basic set of options. I only had to copy that fresh .ini file and overwrite the old one in my system and voilà! The brainstorming here helped me looking in the right direction, thank you all!
:idea:

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”