Tool Shortcuts Cannot be Stored - More Problems

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

BarryW

Tool Shortcuts Cannot be Stored - More Problems

Post by BarryW » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:15 am

Morning all,
(Windows 10, QCad Pro)
Since the 3.21.2.0 update I'm still having a lot of trouble with keyboard shortcuts being lost.
For instance if I add a shortcut of F2 for snap center, that will persist after closing Qcad and re starting.
If I then decide to add another shortcut of say, F3 for Snap End, that will persist, but the previous F2 Snap Center is lost, and reverted to the default.
It appears that an alteration made using <Edit|Application|Tool Settings> saves the most recent change, but every other previous customisation is lost and reverts to the default.

Possibly also related:
When I added the F2 shortcut for Snap Center, that does not show up on the snap menu, which still shows the default SC;
and
Setting Anti Alias to OFF with the view menu always goes back to ON whenever QCAD is restarted.

I believe there is a bug in the saving and/or scanning of the ini file when a change is made.
Can anyone else verify this ?

thanks,
Barry.

Rantanplan7

Re: Tool Shortcuts Cannot be Stored - More Problems

Post by Rantanplan7 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:31 pm

Yes, same behaviour on my installation. I have tried as well to change snap center and snap end to F2 and F3 and the first got lost after I made the second one. My next try was to add the two new shortcuts, I deleted them and added them again and after that both stayed, would be a workaround if that is the same game on your computer.
However, after my first trouble with this customization I got used to the existing shortcuts. In the meantime I don't have the feeling that I have to change them - although my native language is German and not english.
Best Regards

Sven

QCAD 3.27.6.0 / Windows 11 Professional 64-bit / 16 GB RAM, i5 [email protected], SSD
(former Autosketch 10 user)

BarryW

Post by BarryW » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:46 pm

Thanks for that confirmation RantanPlan7.

I see you too are an ex Autosketch user, and no doubt familiar with the one key snap shortcuts!
It is a shame that the shortcuts cannot be properly customised; personally I would delete them all and just have my single key snaps, but I appreciate that would not be to everyones taste.

thanks
Barry.

Rantanplan7

Post by Rantanplan7 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:46 pm

Hi Barry,

but I assume you are aware of the adjustments for the auto snap in applicationm preferences? That helps a bit.
There is many bits and pieces different to Autosketch but after a couple of weeks intensive QCAD work I like it much more than Autosketch.
Best Regards

Sven

QCAD 3.27.6.0 / Windows 11 Professional 64-bit / 16 GB RAM, i5 [email protected], SSD
(former Autosketch 10 user)

BarryW

Post by BarryW » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:10 pm

Yes, thanks, I have spent awhile changing the preferences settings. I just wish they would stay as I set them!
I find QCAD a very good 2D CAD program, definitely the best Autosketch replacement - however after 20+ years of Drafix and then Autosketch I find am still much slower in QCAD.

Barry

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:46 pm

BarryW wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:10 pm
Yes, thanks, I have spent awhile changing the preferences settings. I just wish they would stay as I set them!
I can confirm the same behavior on my Win10. Looks like some kind of conflict with multiple shortcuts ...
BarryW wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:15 am
For instance if I add a shortcut of F2 for snap center, that will persist after closing Qcad and re starting.
If I then decide to add another shortcut of say, F3 for Snap End, that will persist, but the previous F2 Snap Center is lost, and reverted to the default.
It appears that an alteration made using <Edit|Application|Tool Settings> saves the most recent change, but every other previous customisation is lost and reverts to the default.
Hi Barry,
please try this - it works on my system. Below Tool Settings use ONLY the new shortcut and remove all other previous shortcuts which were used for that tool. It is properly working on my system with the given F2 / F3 scenario.

Husky-2018.08.06-02.png
Husky-2018.08.06-02.png (45.96 KiB) Viewed 10772 times

Please keep us posted. Thanks.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

BarryW

Post by BarryW » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:25 am

Husky-
Thanks - I am aware of how to use the Tool Settings menu, and have tried both keeping the default, and removing it!

Add another shortcut on different F key and close QCAD.
When you re-start QCAD notice that the original F2 shortcut is now lost.
The problem appears to be that QCAD is only saving the last alteration, and reverting all other shortcuts to the default.

That is on Win10 64 with an i7 processor.
Barry

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:49 am

BarryW wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:25 am
Add another shortcut on different F key and close QCAD.
When you re-start QCAD notice that the original F2 shortcut is now lost.
Nope - as I said I'm able to save multiple F keys. I'm on Win10/64 too.

Have you tried to run QCAD as Administrator before you change the shortcuts?
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

BarryW

Post by BarryW » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:15 pm

Husky-
This feature used to work correctly in the v19.x, now it doesn't, as Rantanplan and myself have discovered.
I'm back on v19.2.0, which is fine, I can have multiple shortcuts or only one.
I wonder what is different between your system and ours ?
Running as admin makes no difference.
Barry.

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:43 pm

BarryW wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:15 pm
Husky-
This feature used to work correctly in the v19.x, now it doesn't, as Rantanplan and myself have discovered.
I'm back on v19.2.0, which is fine, I can have multiple shortcuts or only one.
Barry - now I'm confused. It worked with 3.19.2.0 but not anymore in 3.21.2.0? They should run with the same qcad3.ini where the settings are stored. Isn't that the same machine / same qcad3.ini?

Edit:
My test settings done in 3.19.2 regarding a changed F2 /F3 shortcut is still working fine in 3.21.2 even with multiple shortcuts for the same tool. I used (of course) the same qcad3.ini

BarryW

Post by BarryW » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:56 pm

Having got very frustrated, I deleted the QCAD3.ini file and let it create a new one.
After putting all the toolbars back where I want them, and adding the extra shortcut keys,
everything is now working fine, nothing being lost when saving an alteration.

So, case closed, thanks for the help,
Barry.

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:25 pm

BarryW wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:56 pm
... everything is now working fine, nothing being lost when saving an alteration.
Glad to hear that! :D

BarryW

Post by BarryW » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:02 pm

Oops, my bad; that was in 3.19.2.

In 3.21.2, a change to a shortcut, as described above, looses all previous shortcut changes.
This does not become apparent in the current session; a modified shortcut and all the previous changed shortcuts works fine until you close QCAD.
But
When you re-open QCAD, the only modified shortcut available is the last one that was changed, every other customised shortcut has gone back to default.

Bug report submitted.
Barry.

BarryW

Post by BarryW » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:47 pm

I just noticed this is now working correctly in v3.21.3.0,
thanks Andrew, much appreciated.
Barry.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”