[solved] Missing icons on the layer list

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

dhowland
Newbie Member

[solved] Missing icons on the layer list

Post by dhowland » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:56 am

Hey, my layer list just isn't working properly. There is supposed to be an eyeball and a lock icon on each layer. Its missing on my PC. Strangely enough, if I click around on the empty space, I can change the layer visibility if I click on the right spot. So it's almost as if the icons are present, but not being rendered.
Screenshot 2017-01-16 23.10.17.png
Screenshot 2017-01-16 23.10.17.png (120.83 KiB) Viewed 10896 times
Please help.

Windows 10 Enterprise, Intel i5, 16GB RAM

Version: 3.16.4.0 (3.16.4)
Internet: QCAD.org
Build Date: Jan 2 2017
Revision: b777965
Qt Version: 5.5.1
Architecture: x86_64
Compiler: MSVC++ 12.0 (2013)

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Missing icons on the layer list

Post by andrew » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:42 am

Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce the problem here and we didn't have any similar reports so far.

Can you please try to re-install QCAD Professional?

dhowland
Newbie Member

Post by dhowland » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:35 am

I have uninstalled and reinstalled QCAD and I'm STILL having this problem. This makes it very hard to use. Please let me know how to fix this.

This is the latest version I can use:

Version:
3.16.7.0 (3.16.7)
Internet:
QCAD.org
Build Date:
Mar 21 2017
Revision:
5a6d77a
Qt Version:
Architecture:
x86_64
Compiler:
MSVC++ 12.0 (2013)

lphilpot

Post by lphilpot » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:54 am

A few general questions:
  • Does it happen on both themes (default and dark)?
    Have you tried renaming your QCAD profile, restarting QCAD and seeing if it still happens?
    Did you recently update your display driver?
Your profile would be the folder C:\Users\<account name>\Appdata\Roaming\QCAD (if I remember correctly, I'm on Linux here). You may have to enable visibility of hidden/system files to see AppData in WIndows Explorer, though. If it works then, just reset your QCAD preferences as desired.
Len
QCAD Pro

dhowland
Newbie Member

Post by dhowland » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:12 am

I've done all that and more, including uninstalling other QT programs on my system. The icons remain forever hidden.

I paid full price for this software. I expect it to work.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:07 am

dhowland wrote:I paid full price for this software. I expect it to work.
We were immediately on board to help you - but you disappeared for 10 month! We can't help you without a fair collaboration!

Back to the issue.
Did you use for the installation the .msi or the .zip packet?
Your System is a 32 Bit Win 10?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:51 am

Please proceed as follows:
- Uninstall QCAD.
- Make sure that there is NOTHING left under your installation directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\QCAD). If the directory is still there, delete it.
- Install QCAD from scratch.
I paid full price for this software. I expect it to work.
If the above does not work, I'm afraid this would be a problem unique to your particular installation of Windows / QCAD. Please contact me for a refund.

dhowland
Newbie Member

Post by dhowland » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:55 pm

Husky wrote: We were immediately on board to help you - but you disappeared for 10 month! We can't help you without a fair collaboration!
I didn't know anyone had responded. I assumed I would be auto-subscribed to topics that I started.
Husky wrote: Did you use for the installation the .msi or the .zip packet?
Your System is a 32 Bit Win 10?
Do they even make 32-bit Windows 10? My system is a standard 64-bit install of Windows 10 Enterprise. Nothing out of the ordinary about it.

I have three install packages, it seems I am unable to get any others, because I bought it more than a year ago (???)

qcad-3.13.1-pro-win64-installer.exe
qcad-3.16.4-pro-win64-installer.msi
qcad-3.16.7-pro-win64-installer.msi

All have the same issue. I would gladly try the 32-bit versions of QCAD, but I don't have those installers. Is there any way to get them?

dhowland
Newbie Member

Post by dhowland » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:37 pm

andrew wrote:Please proceed as follows:
- Uninstall QCAD.
- Make sure that there is NOTHING left under your installation directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\QCAD). If the directory is still there, delete it.
- Install QCAD from scratch.
I definitely did that, several times. I also just tried the latest trial versions in 32 and 64 bit. Both had the issue.
andrew wrote: If the above does not work, I'm afraid this would be a problem unique to your particular installation of Windows / QCAD. Please contact me for a refund.
This is not a problem unique to my particular PC, this is a problem with the way QCAD uses QT, specifically qtsvg.

I have the same problem in both layer list and block list, and behold my Library Browser:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (9.2 KiB) Viewed 10069 times
I'm looking at the source now. My best guess is that one of the many other open source programs I have installed have used a version of QT that is interfering with the SVG rendering.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:54 pm

dhowland wrote:I'm looking at the source now. My best guess is that one of the many other open source programs I have installed have used a version of QT that is interfering with the SVG rendering.
QCAD is a self-contained package. It comes with all the libraries and plugins required to run it (including Qt). All libraries are installed into the QCAD application folder, not system wide. However, if other Qt plugins are found that are installed system-wide, QCAD might try to load those.

Here's what you can do to debug (if you are comfortable using a command line prompt):

Code: Select all

cd c:\Program Files\QCAD
set QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1
qcad.exe 2>%HOMEPATH%\Desktop\log.txt
This will create a log file on your desktop with information about plugins being loaded and from where. Feel free to attach it here and I will have a look.

dhowland
Newbie Member

Post by dhowland » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:22 pm

QT_PLUGIN_DEBUG didn't produce any output.

However I finally found the program that was interfering with QT. It was OpenShot. It set QT_PLUGIN_PATH in the environment.

I was going to recommend that QCAD always open plug-ins from it's own install, however according to the QT5 documentation:
Note: QT_PLUGIN_PATH should not be exported as a system-wide environment variable since it can interfere with other Qt installations.
Therefore I will consider it a bug in OpenShot and report it with them.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:30 pm

OK. Does unsetting QT_PLUGIN_PATH solve the issue with the icons?

dhowland
Newbie Member

Post by dhowland » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:44 pm

Yes.

At least one person has already complained to them about this issue: https://github.com/OpenShot/openshot-qt/issues/239

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”