Saving a bloc in library

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

J-J

Saving a bloc in library

Post by J-J » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:36 pm

It is not possible to save a drawing in the library to make blocs for future usage as we did in 2.2.2.0 Is that feature reserved for final release?
Also, I have yet not found in QCAD3 the same convenient method existing in ver 2, to insert blocs from the library. The only option available is "open in file browser"...
system: Win7, 64 bits

Clive

Re: Saving a bloc in library

Post by Clive » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:07 am

J-J wrote:It is not possible to save a drawing in the library to make blocs for future usage as we did in 2.2.2.0 Is that feature reserved for final release?
Also, I have yet not found in QCAD3 the same convenient method existing in ver 2, to insert blocs from the library. The only option available is "open in file browser"...
system: Win7, 64 bits
Hi J-J

For Windows OS

Right here we go!

We need to "Extend" the part-library by adding your own folder in it in order to save your blocks to.

1.First of all locate the QCAD installation file, via computer > program files > QCAD Professional > library:
When you are in the library add a new folder called e.g. "My Blocks".

2.Close window and - back to QCAD ( restart QCAD to make the change affective!). In QCAD open the Library Browser via View > library browser. In the Library browser click on "File system" and then "right - click" on your new folder (mine is "my blocks") and choose the option -"show in browser".

3.This will open up you new "empty" folder, in the empty space just right click and choose
properties.

4.properties dialog window opens - click on "security" tab. In security click on Users (your name -PC/users) and then click on EDIT BUTTON

5.In the "permissions" dialog window that opens - again click on Users (your name - PC/users) then click on FULL CONTROL pick box (which should also select the modify option as well - if it doesn`t -well just select it manually). Then finally click apply and also OK.

6. Click OK on the new blocks properties window as well - this then closes.

7. Close your "empty" folder also!

8.Now go back to QCAD again and draw/create a block, then using the normal file > save as procedure, locate the Library "parent" folder and then navigate to your new folder and save your block in that folder!

That should do the job! :D

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:43 am

J-J wrote:Also, I have yet not found in QCAD3 the same convenient method existing in ver 2, to insert blocs from the library. The only option available is "open in file browser"...
Drag the desired symbol from the library browser into the QCAD 3 drawing area to insert it as a block.

There is no insert button anymore for technical reasons: QCAD 3 and the QCAD 3 Library Browser are two separate applications and drag and drop is a convenient way to transfer data between two applications.

Clive

Post by Clive » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:33 am

andrew wrote:
J-J wrote:Also, I have yet not found in QCAD3 the same convenient method existing in ver 2, to insert blocs from the library. The only option available is "open in file browser"...
Drag the desired symbol from the library browser into the QCAD 3 drawing area to insert it as a block.

There is no insert button anymore for technical reasons: QCAD 3 and the QCAD 3 Library Browser are two separate applications and drag and drop is a convenient way to transfer data between two applications.
Hi Andrew

In Version 3rc3
I find that in Windows ( 7 -64), when dragging and dropping blocks into a drawing I need to click on the reset button or check the "over write" blocks option often as well in order to successfully drop the block.

It seems a bit buggy at times and does "lag" often as well to complete these functions.

No problem with this however in Ubuntu 11.10 (on laptop).

Hope the info helps.

J-J

Win7 and block save

Post by J-J » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:38 am

OK, thank for your answers, I'm not quite used to all the restrictions built in Win7, the permission change did the trick.
I had figured the drag-drop feature from the file browser, what would have been more convenient is having the blocks show directly in the library window when you develop the tree, rather than having to have to open Explorer.

Clive

Re: Win7 and block save

Post by Clive » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:55 pm

J-J wrote:OK, thank for your answers, I'm not quite used to all the restrictions built in Win7, the permission change did the trick.
I had figured the drag-drop feature from the file browser, what would have been more convenient is having the blocks show directly in the library window when you develop the tree, rather than having to have to open Explorer.
Yes agreed, I also had to add permissions though in Ubuntu as well as in Windows.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”