G-code for Amada Turret Punch Rolling Rib Tooling

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

andyli611
Registered Member

G-code for Amada Turret Punch Rolling Rib Tooling

Post by andyli611 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:23 am

How to program rolling rib tools? I'd tried, but it only punch on the beginning and the end, doesn't roll...
I am a newbie, please help

X337. Y218. T315
X50.
M692

CVH
Premier Member

Re: G-code for Amada Turret Punch Rolling Rib Tooling

Post by CVH » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:20 pm

Hi, and welcome to the QCAD forum.

Turret Punches usually move the sheet to a location and then engage with the material ... Punch once.
Somewhat similar as for a drilling toolpath with a CNC milling machine.
Even nibbling is moving the sheet freely and engaging frequently while holding it steady shortly.

Rolling requires that the tool stays engaged with the material while the material is moving (Or the tool is moving).
Some sort of motion needs to be programmed while engaged.
This probably requires a specialized command what is not standard G-code.
And then I normally expect G1, G2/G3 but here rather a certain M code (M510 to M559 M800 to M999).

As far as I know similar machines I don't think that the sheet clamps are designed for holding such forming loads.
I then suspect nibbling but then without punching through.

Just guessing:
X337. Y218. T315 Means tool 315 move to (337.0, 218.0) and punch.
X50. would then mean move to (50.0, 218.0) and punch.
M692 would mean press raise but I don't find a press down counterpart.
But it can also mean raise press from index table.
https://www.helmancnc.com/g-m-codes-ama ... nch-press/

The best way to solve this is to look up the specific G-code dialect and specialized functions of your machine.

QCAD is all about designing CAD drawings usually stored as DXF or DWG, printing these or exporting to PDF.
QCAD/CAM is an extension to export things in a different language: Some sort of G-code for example but not really limited to that.
A specific CAM postprocessor does the translation to your required output.
Postprocessors under QCAD/CAM are very versatile in design and can be developed for a wide variety of applications and specific needs.

It is thus not impossible to conceive an Amanda rolling post or one for punching, nibbling, ...
Usually not that hard, sometimes with some effort and/or help and in rare cases we will have to invent the wheel again. :wink:

If we are talking about https://www.amada.ca/turret-punch-presses ... Over 12 metric tons of machinery ...
... Then I think that you better stick to their software or contact their support for further details on G and M-codes and how to apply them.

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”