large text slows down QCAD

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

jjs3834
Newbie Member

large text slows down QCAD

Post by jjs3834 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:31 pm

Hello.

sometimes, I need to create drawings with big text items, several paragraphs of text. When I select the text, my PC just stops like I hit the mud from My Cousin Vinny. It is still operational but working with the text just takes a while, like I gotta wait 5-10 seconds after I select the text, before I can do something. I will attach the file. Anyone know how to deal with this problem? I watch my resources and they are not getting pinned, so I suspect it may be the way QCAD is handling the text? the file is only 109kb, so this is perplexing.

I think its the 'SELECTIONPREVIEW' thing from AutoCAD, if anyone knows what I mean.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit
QCAD
Version:
3.27.8.0 (3.27.8)

thanks in advance!
Joe
General Notes.txt.dxf
(108.42 KiB) Downloaded 144 times

CVH
Premier Member

Re: large text slows down QCAD

Post by CVH » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:55 pm

Hi,

This will render it somewhat faster:
Application Preferences >> Graphics View >> Text Rendering >> Render Text as paths

Remind that QCAD is not a word processing program. :wink:

Regards,
CVH

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:04 pm

jjs3834 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:31 pm
When I select the text, my PC just stops like I hit the mud from My Cousin Vinny. It is still operational but working with the text just takes a while, like I gotta wait 5-10 seconds after I select the text, before I can do something.
This text is built out of more then 380,000 line and arc entities. That takes time to render (and your CPU goes crazy) and text like that example shouldn't not be part of a drawing. But I know, there are always exceptions ...

If there is no other way then putting it on a drawing then I recommend to put the text on a designated layer. Turn this layer invisible all the time you are not working on the text or are going to print that drawing. This will speed QCAD extremely up because it doesn't has to render those 380,000 entities all the time during the design phase ... :wink:

Could it be that I know your Cousin Vinny? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

jjs3834
Newbie Member

Post by jjs3834 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:56 am

Thank you both, CVH, your solution helped very much.... and Husky, you added important bg info, thanks to both of you!

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”