[solved] mouse is black on black

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

michaelcatrini
Newbie Member

[solved] mouse is black on black

Post by michaelcatrini » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:33 pm

QCad Professional: 3.24.2.0

Full disclosure...i just purchased the product today and have less than an hour using it. My apologies if this should be obvious.

I have searched online and have searched several ways on this forum to no avail. When selecting a drawing tool, the mouse pointer changes to a small black "+" . The pointer is black and disappears on the black background.

How to I make it white?

andrew
Site Admin

Re: mouse is black on black

Post by andrew » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:38 pm

Odd.. do you have any third-party themes or mouse cursor packages or similar installed?

Are we talking about the actual mouse cursor or the cross hairs that indicates the coordinate currently used by QCAD? The latter jumps from grid point to grid point when moving the mouse. In the latter case, I'd recommend to reset QCAD to its default settings:
https://qcad.org/en/tutorial-resetting- ... figuration

michaelcatrini
Newbie Member

Post by michaelcatrini » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:18 am

it was the actual mouse cursor.

resetting to defaults worked. It may be because i tried the "free" version first...then removed it...then purchased the licensed version. Shame on me for scrubbing the old one on my own.

Thanks for the quick reply!

michaelcatrini
Newbie Member

Post by michaelcatrini » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:33 am

CORRECTION...i was too quick to answer.

The issue as it turns out is not the QCAD product. It is somehow related to the multiple monitor setup through the docking station for my laptop. The mouse is correct (black "+" outlined in white) on the built in screen on the laptop, but then i lose the white outline when pulling the application up to the dual monitor setup.

Again, thanks for the quick reply. If i discover a solution i will post it on this thread for future reference.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: [solved] mouse is black on black

Post by andrew » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:36 am

OK, thanks for the details, that makes sense. I'll mark this as solved as it's not really related to QCAD directly.

Arrie
Registered Member

Post by Arrie » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:24 pm

I have the exact same problem as the OP of this thread. When I draw a line it shows the full screen cross hair cursor with the small circle but when I select snap like "End" OR "Middle" the cursor turns to black small cross that is almost impossible to see against the black model view background. The grid points are the only reason you can see it at all.

I uninstalled and re-installed the program and for the first use the cursor worked as I guess it is supposed to work with white outline around the black cross cursor but today when I started the program it is back with the problem.

This issue is not "SOLVED".

mwooly
Registered Member

Re: Mouse is black on black

Post by mwooly » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:07 am

I have the same problem when, for example, I am performing a "trim" operation. The cursor becomes black on a black background and cannot be seen (i.e., the white outline disappears). It seems to be related to the multiple monitor, extended display, setup since the cursor displays correctly on my laptop display.

I have tried changing the display settings and resetting the mouse but no progress.

My extended display is an HP 27f with 1920x1080 resolution at 60Hz.

My latop is aThinkpad P52 with Nvidia

Any suggestions?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:56 am

Unfortunately, that black cursor you are seeing is not something from QCAD and cannot be controlled by QCAD. All QCAD cursors have a black icon that is surrounded by a white outline.

The black cursor might be provided by either the operating system or a driver. You could change the graphics view background color in QCAD to something other than black (perhaps dark blue or gray) as a workaround.

mwooly
Registered Member

Post by mwooly » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:27 am

Thanks. I’ll try the work-around.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”