i cant open drawings first thing

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

twodogstwohorses
Newbie Member

i cant open drawings first thing

Post by twodogstwohorses » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:32 am

Morning
when i open QCAD pro version 3.24.2.0(3.24.2) for the first time in the morning it opens fine
then when i try to open a drawing from file open it sits there with a blank open drawing box after a few mins the drawing files will appear but you cant move up to another folder it locks up and you have to go into task manager and shut it down
you have to do this 4 or 5 times then it starts working ok any ideas ?
im using windows 7 pro
cheers

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: i cant open drawings first thing

Post by Husky » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:32 am

Hi,
do you have enough free memory (RAM) / disk space on your Win7 system? What is the file seize of the drawing? If possible please attache the drawing to this post. PM is ok too. Thanks.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

twodogstwohorses
Newbie Member

Post by twodogstwohorses » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:11 am

Hi
6 gig of ram
the file sizes vary we are an engineering company and use it for quoting jobs like i said after a few goes it starts working fine just seems to take a few goes at opening and shutting down

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:40 am

twodogstwohorses wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:11 am
... like i said after a few goes it starts working fine just seems to take a few goes at opening and shutting down
QCAD doesn't needs to get warm to work properly. :wink:

It sounds to me your PC has resourcen issues. Maybe you are running a few programms at the same time (Multitasking - which would be absolute normal!) and the RAM is used to 70 - 90%. The PC would slow down because it takes time to sort the priroity of the open programs. Try to start the PC new and launch ONLY QCAD to see if the drawing handling improves.
Other thing could be that you have programs running in the background like anti virus or backup programs. If yes try to pause them and test the QCAD performance.
twodogstwohorses wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:11 am
... the file sizes vary
If the file seize is in a 2 digit ballpark (>10MB) then you can expect that QCAD has a problem with that ... :(
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

twodogstwohorses
Newbie Member

Post by twodogstwohorses » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:14 am

ok
ill try it Monday morning if i try it now it will work any way

RandallG

Post by RandallG » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:51 pm

Another possibility to check about the slow opening of your drawing file, is that if you are opening the file from a server on your network, it could be a network and/or server issue too. To test If this is the case, try copying the drawing file to your local computer (Drive C for a PC or into your Documents Folder on your Mac computer) first, then open it there with QCAD and see if the problem goes away or not.

Let us know how it goes for you on Monday.

Cheers.

twodogstwohorses
Newbie Member

Post by twodogstwohorses » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:02 am

Morning
i had all ready tried opening from a local file still the same i tried yesterday and this morning with any other programs shut down and the same problem as i said after a few goes its fine the files i am opening are about 300 kb so there not massive
on another note how do i get to view model and paper space ? i cant find an option to do that
cheers

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:34 pm

twodogstwohorses wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:02 am
... on another note how do i get to view model and paper space ? i cant find an option to do that
To keep the forum sorted and searchable for everybody please post unrelated question in a new topic. Thanks.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”