[solved] Saving Autocad Files as .dxf - use which version?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

steviepopps
Registered Member

[solved] Saving Autocad Files as .dxf - use which version?

Post by steviepopps » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:15 pm

I have a large collection of Drawings which were created using Autocad (mostly in Autocad 2017).
I have been opening them in Autocad and saving them as .dxf files and then opening them in Qcad Professional.
I have to choose .dxf file type to open them in Qcad - no problem.
The issue I have is that when I save them in Qcad and then reopen them, I have to choose the .dxf file type again rather than just opening the file and allowing Qcad to work out the file type.
It also means that I have to reset some of the dimension settings - even though I had reset them before saving previously.
Is there a better way?
cheers!
Last edited by steviepopps on Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Saving Autocad Files as .dxf - use which version?

Post by Husky » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:29 pm

steviepopps wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:15 pm
I have a large collection of Drawings which were created using Autocad (mostly in Autocad 2017).
I have been opening them in Autocad and saving them as .dxf files and then opening them in Qcad Professional.
I have to choose .dxf file type to open them in Qcad - no problem.
The issue I have is that when I save them in Qcad and then reopen them, I have to choose the .dxf file type again rather than just opening the file and allowing Qcad to work out the file type.
On load (Menu/File/Open) QCAD will detect the used file type - no need to choose it manually.
If this drawing is then saved with Menu/File/Save QCAD will use the same file name and file format.
If you need to change the file name or the file type then you have to use Menu/File/Save Us. That will give you the option to change name and file type.

The "Save Us" will always start with the file type default - but it is still changeable. What the preferred file type is can be set in Application Preferences.

Husky_2023_01_31-02.png
Husky_2023_01_31-02.png (51.99 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
steviepopps wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:15 pm
It also means that I have to reset some of the dimension settings - even though I had reset them before saving previously.
Is there a better way?
We need to see the drawing or an example drawing which shows the same issue. Please attache it to your response post for further investigation. Thanks.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”