How to Blocks Video

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

KevinG
Newbie Member

How to Blocks Video

Post by KevinG » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:02 pm

Okay, I simply don't seem to be having any luck on creating/saving/inporting/etc. blocks. Before I get into details, is there a good "How To" video you can point me too. I've looked around a little, but I'm not having any luck finding a step by step video that can walk me through.
Mac / Running 3.27.8.0
Thanks

CVH
Premier Member

Re: How to Blocks Video

Post by CVH » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:56 pm

Hi,

The simplest method to create a Block is of existent entities >> Create Block from Selection (BC).
The selected entities are stored in a new Block with a given name and are replaced by a Block Reference to that Block.

Or one could start an empty Block (BA) .. Edit that Block (see Block List) and draw entities directly in the Block in question.
In essences a Block definition an this geometry will not show in your drawing (Model_Space) until you actually include them by inserting a Block Reference (BI) in your drawing.

For every dxf file that you import (Ctrl+Shift+I) to a drawing you can opt to include it as a Block.
Kinda automated when using the Library Browser (GL).
Again the entities are stored in a named Block definition and a Block Reference is included in your drawing.

A way to export geometry as a Library Item is to create a Library Item (BT) of a selection.
There is no direct way to export Blocks from the Block List to dxf snippets.

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”