[Solved] Drawing rectangles

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Pegasus
Newbie Member

[Solved] Drawing rectangles

Post by Pegasus » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:12 pm

I think that I must not be drawing rectangles right because I am sure it could not be so awkward to do something so basic, so I am hoping that someone can tell me how to do what I want to do in a much simpler and effective way? I do feel I should have been able to work this out myself from help and searching, but I couldn't, so I apologise in advance.

I am updating a workshop floor plan (attached) that I drew a long time ago, showing the size and position of various items of machinery , shelving etc. I want to draw new rectangles representing new machinery that would initially have given X & Y dimensions and that can subsequently be easily moved and resized.

However, when I draw a new rectangle it seems to actually draw 4 lines and if I select one edge and move it it is separated from the other three, i.e. it is not a behaving as a joined rectangle, though I get that if I click twice it selects the rectangle and I can then move it. But I do not seem to be able to find the dimensions of the rectangle as the Properties shows Various presumably because it sees 4 lines not one rectangle. If I try to resize the rectangle there seems to be no grab for the side, I seem only to be able to grab one corner and move that, meaning that I have to move adjacent corners separately.

It looks like when I originally drew this plan a while ago that I addressed the need to easily select and move by making each rectangle a Block, but then it does not seem to have dimensions and I cannot resize it.

Maybe I just do not get (yet) the QCAD drawing paradigm, but I hope someone can explain how to do this better or point me at guidance that explains it.

Graham
Attachments
Garage_Workshop_V005.dxf
(132.69 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
Last edited by Pegasus on Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

petevick
Premier Member

Re: Drawing rectangles

Post by petevick » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:15 pm

select the Create polyline check box in the toolbar as shown below before creating the rectangle.
ksnip_20230112-151213.png
ksnip_20230112-151213.png (7.29 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
a lot of commands have their own toolbar with additional options.
Pete Vickerstaff
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon, Qcad Pro 3.29.6

Pegasus
Newbie Member

Re: Drawing rectangles

Post by Pegasus » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:04 pm

Perfect, thanks, it had not occurred to me to use that option because I had see elsewhere that drawing polylines was for drawing random points that are then joined by lines, but not necessarily closed shapes.

I must say, this is a very good and quick forum.

CVH
Premier Member

Re: [Solved] Drawing rectangles

Post by CVH » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:09 am

Graham,

Remark that Polylines are not limited to straight line segments.
And thus they are not only intended "for drawing random points that are then joined by lines"
Furthermore 'triagles' - 'squares' - 'rectangles' or n-sided polygons are not named types of entities.
True, a 'circle' is a perfect 'ellipse' but the properties are quite different. :wink:

In fact, with PL you are drawing line segments from point A to point B .. C .. and so on.
What you do is indicating the start position and then the successive endpoints of the line segments just like with LI.
The difference is that the segments are merged in a Polyline what is a single entity.

One can also merge loose line and arc segments to a Polyline, see OG, OC and OL.
For example ... Edit the Block called 'BookShelves' ... Select the 4 lines ... And then type OC to merge the selection into a Polyline.
Benefits:
- It is a single entity what is more handy when moving .. rotating and so on.
- QCAD will recognize that it is a rectangle shape, see Properties listed under Size.
- One can adjust the shape by its Size Properties.
- QCAD also displays the circumference and the area of your shape in the Property Editor.
- Polyline segments have an additional midpoint reference that behaves somewhat different when dragging compared with nodes (corners).

Breaking up a Polyline in individual segments can be done by Explode (XP)

A general advice is to always keep an eye on the tool options. :wink:
Most options are persistently stored from the last usage. :wink:

Regards,
CVH

TallBob
Newbie Member

Post by TallBob » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:16 pm

V3.28.1

I had the exact same question as Pegasus and the posted solution by PeteVeick solved my problem.

I would, however, suggest that this option be defaulted ON in the Application Preferences so that a new Drawing would start out this way and have the Drawing Preferences honor a setting when a drawing is (re)loaded.

This is not at all obvious as to what is going on and, I think, a poor choice for the default. The fact that there have been over 600 views of this suggests that there's a problem here.

bob

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:18 am

TallBob,

There are designers that prefer geometric forms as a whole and those that prefer them as loose entities.
A laser engraver would prefer small rounding to keep the cutting FEED above a minimum while the laser is still on.

True, by default this option is OFF, a choice of the developer of QCAD.
What Andrew decides to set as default is usually well reasoned.
Defaults can simply be edited in the QCAD code.
You might want to file a feature request here: https://www.ribbonsoft.com/bugtracker/
You need a separate account there or register for a new.

These Options are application persistent, so once set they stay that way.
Even after an application update but only until you reset your configuration.

There are no such tool options saved drawing depending.
Only the Drawing Preferences are stored in drawings, never the Application Preferences.
One can set Drawing Preferences defaults for new drawings in the Application Preferences.
Again, this doesn't include tool options or tool options their defaults.

The number of view of a topic (with multiple posts) does not reflect the number of users with that issue.
This topic is viewed 24664 times ... And counting. Who do you think that does still reads these?
https://www.qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3

regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”