[solved] Drawing rectangle

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

kinross
Newbie Member

[solved] Drawing rectangle

Post by kinross » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:48 pm

I have returned to Qcad after over 1 year away and am starting again with Andrew Mustuns excellent tutorial. I am on a trial professional version although I wanted the community one.
I have changed computers since last using Qcad and it did not migrate. I opened one of my existing drawings and the professional trial version opened. I will keep it going and maybe stay with it.
My computer is Apple mini running Monterey V12.6.1
Qcad is version 3.27.80.

My problem is drawing a rectangle following Andrew’s instructions. If I draw it on the continuous grid lines it disappears when I left click. If I draw it on the dotted lines it is ok.
Can anyone help.
Thanks.
Mike.

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Drawing rectangle

Post by CVH » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:29 pm

Hi,
kinross wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:48 pm
If I draw it on the continuous grid lines it disappears when I left click.
When you left click near an entity, a polyline in the shape of a rectangle for that matter, that entity gets selected.
At least that should display 8 colored reference markers ....

Maybe it is just the matter of the selection color itself.
Please see Application Preferences > Graphics View > Colors > Selection
In my case (Default) that is a custom color and when you dropdown and hit 'Others...' its color-code is #a44646.

Not at best on a black background but it works.
I prefer to use yellow as the secondary selection color, then there is no doubt about it.
kinross wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:48 pm
I opened one of my existing drawings and the professional trial version opened. I will keep it going and maybe stay with it.
In the end you should make a choice to use PRO or CE.

On how to remove the PRO plugins:
Use the trial dialog widget.
Or refer to this: https://www.qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=4668

Regards,
CVH

kinross
Newbie Member

Post by kinross » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:06 pm

Thanks for replies. I think I will try to get to the CE version.

Thank you for your reply cvh but at the stage I am at the moment I am afraid it goes over my head.

Sorry.
Mike.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:44 pm

Hi Mike,
kinross wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:06 pm
Thank you for your reply cvh but at the stage I am at the moment I am afraid it goes over my head.
Drawing a rectangle with using the grid is a very simple task and I'm confident that will not go over your head!

First of all - please follow the excellent step by step description from Andrew in his tutorial. By the way - he never mentioned in that chapter to snap to a gray grid line.
This said a grid used to draw shapes exist only out of points. Every point is snappable! Those gray lines are only meant as orientation for you. They are NOT snappable. Of course is a gray line above points your impression will be that it can be snapped BUT in realty it snaps only to the point underneath the gray line.
If you follow Andrews description in the book I see no reason why it shouldn't work as expected. Please try it again and tell me exactly which of the 12 steps are not working for you. I'm sure we can solve the mystery together! For this exercise you can use the Trial or CE version - doesn't matters in this case.
Looking forward to your response ... :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

kinross
Newbie Member

Post by kinross » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:06 pm

Thanks Husky. You have it in one.
I know where I am going wrong.
The tutorial is excellent. It is very difficult to find tutorials that are close to the subject but can also come down to a beginners level.
Will plod on. Will probably have other questions but hope not too many.
Thanks to all who replied.
Mike.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”