Nesting with more than two layers

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

jamesjconnell
Newbie Member

Nesting with more than two layers

Post by jamesjconnell » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:39 pm

I'm trying to use the nesting feature in QCAD CAM to nest parts and I'm noticing that I can nest parts as long as the maximum number of layers in the nest group is two. In the attached you will find a number of parts on the left that I'm trying to nest into the board shapes on the right. some have only one layer (the through cut layer) and others have either 0.125" route or 0.25" route shapes. If I select all parts it won't place the part with the 0.25" route layer. It just lists it as non placeable even though there is space. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
J
Attachments
MASTER.dxf
(114.49 KiB) Downloaded 159 times

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Nesting with more than two layers

Post by CVH » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:16 pm

Hi,

Am I correct that you are nesting Blocks.
Blocks with Hatches?!

Why not nesting shapes?

Where are the edges?
Is this intended to process with QCAM?
Or how does your CAM knows where to cut based on merely hatches?
I hope white isn't cut ... :lol: :wink:

In the 'CBSB_Top' Block I find two Hatches, one area is 0.1 larger in all directions than the other.
I think that the nesting can not determine what shape sits inside the other and considers it as two or more shapes to nest.

The layers let me assume a 6.35mm and a 3.175mm cutter.
I would remove 15.25mm with a 6.35mm cutter and use the same for removing 13.208mm. :roll:

BTW: A cutter doesn't cut outside corners like displayed in red and blue. :wink:

Regards,
CVH

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:34 pm

Hi J,
jamesjconnell wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:39 pm
Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Yes and no. Common praxis would be not to use hatches as shape source for a Tool paths creation. The block CBSB_Foot eg. exist only out of a solid hatch - QCAD is looking for entities like lines, arcs etc as boundary - it has no idea what to do with an isolated solid hatch used for a Tool paths.

The fast solution in your case would be:

select all the parts in Model_Space which has to be nested,
explode 2 times those parts. That will "destroy" the block structure, the hatches will be deleted and the leftover are usable for the nesting procedure.
Make sure the parts are still selected - start the nesting process, select the target rectangles and it should work like a charm ...

Husky-2022.11.15-02.png
Husky-2022.11.15-02.png (4.93 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
This said - your drawing is troubling me. Maybe I had still not enough coffee this morning ...
May I ask you how you managed to have a different arrangement of parts in the 3D Display? That is not identical with the parts in Model_Space. Explode will display the correct Model_Space content ...

Husky-2022.11.15-01.png
Husky-2022.11.15-01.png (11.66 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:23 am

Husky wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:34 pm
May I ask you how you managed to have a different arrangement of parts in the 3D Display?
That is because the Blocks are all arranged with their reference at the origin of the 3D view.
I can replicate that with adding some more arbitrary shapes in additional Blocks.

Not sure if this is intended behavior. :?
Then again, I am not a QCAM user.
I need support for V-shaped cutters and also require pocketing besides drilling and routing.

Regards,
CVH

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:07 am

Husky wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:34 pm
Make sure the parts are still selected - start the nesting process, select the target rectangles and it should work like a charm ...
From top to bottom:
I suppose 3 pieces are required of shape 1 ...
2 are required of shape 5 ...
I would not use nesting for just these 9 shapes and I can fit them on one and a half plate.
It is even possible to mill out 2 full sets of 9 shapes.

I understand how 1 slots 3 times in 2,3 and 6
I only don't see how 4 is slotted in 1 being snug with the bottom.
At best I have a 1.625" gap.

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”