Scaling and Dimension is Paperspace

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

mwoll
Registered Member

Scaling and Dimension is Paperspace

Post by mwoll » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:37 pm

Hi -
I have been using QCAD Pro for a few days on my Win10 computer. Generally it is working well but I ran into a Paperspace problem. If I understand correctly, I can control the scale of viewports either by scaling the paperspace "sheet" or using the SZ command on the individual viewport. I don't want to scale the sheet because a) I already have a template placed in it, and b) I need to have multiple viewports at different scales.

The problem with scaling the viewports is shown in the attached screen shot.
I drew a 2"x3" rectangle and added the horizontal (3") dimension in model space. I then made two viewports of it in the 1X scale paper space. I then scaled one viewport to 2X using the SZ command. Finally, I added the vertical dimension in paper space. Of course this is just a couple of dimensions; a real drawing might have many dimensions. Here are the results:

The model space dimension is correct in both views, but the text and arrow heads are twice as big in the 2X scale view.
The paper space dimensions have the same text and arrowhead size in both views but the dimensions incorrectly reads 4" in the 2X scale view.

I could fix this is several ways:
1) Select all paperspace dimensions in the 2X view and reduce the linear scale y 0.5X.
2) Make a copy of the geometry with dimensions in model space, select all dims in the copy and reduce dimension scaling by 0.5X, then use this copy for the 2X scale view in paper space.
3) Make a 2X scale copy of the geometry with dimensions in model space, select all dims in the copy and reduce the linear scale by 0.5X, then use this copy as a paper space view, this time without re-scaling in paper space.

None if these solutions seem very satisfactory. They all require making odd modifications that are error prone and and not obvious if I need to re-edit the model or dimensions. It seems that the only practical way in QCAD to print a portion of a model space drawing is to use paper space and viewports, so I am wondering if there is a better way to accomplish this. Please let me know.

[It seems like the best solution would be that a viewport could be "activated" so that a) its scale could be individually set within the paper space and b) any dimensions added would be attached to the viewport (rather than the sheet) and would inherit the correct scaling. But maybe that is outside what can be expected at this low price.]
QCAD scaling.jpg
QCAD scaling.jpg (38.64 KiB) Viewed 1908 times

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Scaling and Dimension is Paperspace

Post by andrew » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:39 pm

You are right that when working with viewports, scaling the sheet is not recommended.

It's not possible to "attach" dimensions to a viewport. All entities live in exactly one block. This can for example be either the model space block (where your main drawing resides) or a paper space block (where the drawing border, title, etc. are).

When working with viewports at different scales, I'd recommend dimensioning in paper space. While dimensioning, you can activate the "Auto" scale option (options toolbar at the top) to automatically adjust the dimensions linear scale factor to the viewport you are dimensioning.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”